1.I am about to reformat my system, and have some questions about what files need to be backed up off the C:, running Vista Home Premium...

I have located my emails and have nothing in the docs folder.

can anyone tell me if/where i can find all those windows update files?, so that i wont need to redownload everything again.

Is there anything else that I should be saving b4 wiping my drive?

2.Also 1 other question, where can i find a log/s of internet usage and sites visited(other than the standard history folder). I have in the last couple of weeks noticed rather large data transfer with no apparent reason, I figure either a virus/spam thing or possibly a teenager that knows to delete the ie history....

You'll want to get your entire profile tree, and any folders that you created elsewhere on the drive. To grab your profile, you'll have to login as a different user with admin rights after a fresh reboot and then you can navigate to c:\users and copy your profile to a backup device. After you reload your pc, create an account with the same name and a second account, both with admin permissions. Log into the 2nd acount after a fresh reboot and copy your original profile over the new one. This will restore your email settings, ie favorites, desktop items, and just about any settings for any other apps.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.