Running on a Windows XP.
Yesterday when I tried to boot my Desktop up I got an error message that one of the C:/Windows/ folders were missing. It instructed my to reinstall the operating system. I used to recovery console from the start-up menu(Pressing F10 as it booted), and reinstalled it (I assume..) Now, my old account was named "HP_Owner" in the C:/Documents and Settings folder, and in that folder is where I had all my files and what-not, this new account is defaultly "HP_Owner.Jeremys" When I try to open the original HP_Owner folder, I get an access denied message. All my old programs are still on the computer, and accessable on this new account... it would stand to reason all my pictures and documents are still there in the HP_Owner folder, I just don't know how to get to them! When I log off, the only account available to log into is the new one... Can anyone at all please help me with retrieving my files please?
Thanks in advance for the help! (And for the great community)

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

hi, try to reinstall OS, and choose "repair" when prompted to do so...if the repair is successful you should be able to access all folder in your computer.. check out this website.. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341 good luck..

Great! Thank You caper! it worked, I can now access the old pictures and files! :)

Great! Thank You caper! it worked, I can now access the old pictures and files! :)

your welcome glad it worked for you !

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.