Ive got two networked computers, i can netsend to them both, but when i try and remote shutdown by using shutdown -i and typing the name of the computer it will not work. If i click browse it says the directory service is currently unavailable. It will not work if i enter shutdown -m \\ and typing the name of the computer either. Any ideas on how I can get this to work?

Contributors
Replies
Views
12 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by ChrisAy

I'm not 100 % sure but I think you will need to start the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service on both computers for this to work. Start, Run type services.msc & click OK, scroll to and start the service and set it to Automatic. Keep in mind enabling this service can leave you open to attacks. HTH

That service is already enabled, i also tried starting RPC locater, but nothing helped, still have the problem. Any other ideas? :)

You can shutdown a XP Home machine remotely. The solution lies in granting the Guest account the privilege to access the shutdown. Here are the details:

To do this you need to use the NtRights.exe file found in the XP Resource Kit, here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9D467A69-57FF-4AE7-96EE-B18C4790CFFD&displaylang=en

Download the kit from Microsoft.
Copy the NtRights.exe program to %windir%\system32.
Next log-in as an administrator on the box to be shutdown remotely
Perform the following commands from a command window:

NtRights –u Guest +r SeRemoteShutdownPrivilege
NtRights –u Guest +r SeShutdownPrivilege

Be careful about the spelling – note there is no ‘t’ in the priv name where you would expect it to read SetRemoteShutdownPrivilege

See here for a full description of the NtRights.exe program http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279664

Now you should be able to use the shutdown.exe programs from a remote computer. When you do the shutdown message on your XP Home machine will read ‘Shutdown initiated by \\<pcName>\Guest’

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.