I'm running a 2 computer home network on Windows XP. I've had NTL install a 750k broadband. This works fine on both PC's, however the client (laptop)machine has much slower internet access than the host, even if the host is not using any bandwidth. Does anyone know of any way to allocate bandwidth to the client machine?

Your assistance would be MOST appreciated (as it would stop the other half nagging the hell out of me!!!!)

Thanks
Steven

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

As far as I know Windows/Router automatically does it for you man maybe someone can inlighten me.

I'm running a 2 computer home network on Windows XP. I've had NTL install a 750k broadband. This works fine on both PC's, however the client (laptop)machine has much slower internet access than the host, even if the host is not using any bandwidth. Does anyone know of any way to allocate bandwidth to the client machine?

Your assistance would be MOST appreciated (as it would stop the other half nagging the hell out of me!!!!)

Thanks
Steven

This is the problem with my network too... I have four computers ... and the server is the fastest ... the others keep on troubling for speed.

Wait are you guys using Internet Connection Sharing? Are you connecting to a ICS Server that connects to the internet? If so why don't tou just buy a router and be done with it chances are that will cure all your problems.

I have now bought a router and connected both pc's to it. The internet browsing on the client has improved, but the same problem still exists. When the client is downloading it still takes too much bandwidth. Does anyone know of a way to split usage 50/50? I went cheap on the router and got a Mentor 4 port router for £18...

Wait are you guys using Internet Connection Sharing? Are you connecting to a ICS Server that connects to the internet? If so why don't tou just buy a router and be done with it chances are that will cure all your problems.

Look for a program called "Bandwidth Monitor Pro", search on google or something, you change the usage of bandwidth each computer has down to specific times and days, aswell as seeing how much those pr0n d/l's are takin'! :D

Look for a program called "Bandwidth Monitor Pro", search on google or something, you change the usage of bandwidth each computer has down to specific times and days, aswell as seeing how much those pr0n d/l's are takin'! :D

Hi. its been a while since I have been on, but this problem does still exist. I tried bandwidth monitor pro, but found this was only useful to see just how bad the probelm was! is there a management feature on this program or is it purely for monitoring?

Go to this link http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks and see if the tweak test find anything that needs to be changed in you TCP/IP settings.

thanks for this. Checked it out. interesting stuff! but report said everything was looking good. there was a recomendation to install a tool to manage the performance, but everything was fine, so just going to leave it that way.

cheers

Steven

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.