I had a new call stating that they lost thier profile on a windows XP machine networked to a Win2000 server. They stated when they shut on friday everything was ok. Then on Monday when they opened thier profile was gone and in its place was user.servername.001 (I took a look everything that has to do with this profile is gone). I did find a directory called old profile which I was able to restore thier .pst file but it only was up till july of 2004. I have not worked with this company before so I do not know much history yet. Has anyone had this happen and know what would have caused this?

Thank you,
Bill

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

never see that before ,but did you try logging in as admin and do a system restore !

yes I tried that it would not restore any restore points before the incident happened (Sunday Night)

Thank you,
Bill

I had a new call stating that they lost thier profile on a windows XP machine networked to a Win2000 server. They stated when they shut on friday everything was ok. Then on Monday when they opened thier profile was gone and in its place was user.servername.001 (I took a look everything that has to do with this profile is gone). I did find a directory called old profile which I was able to restore thier .pst file but it only was up till july of 2004. I have not worked with this company before so I do not know much history yet. Has anyone had this happen and know what would have caused this?

Thank you,
Bill

Hi Bill,

I know it has been sometime since this post but I was wondering if you found a solution to this problem or if you know why this occurs.

About a few months ago, users at the company I work for have encountered the same problem intermittently. We have about 4000 users but this seems to be plaguing only 450 of our Windows 2000 Professional users only.

Appreciate your help if you've found "the key".

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Prem

I am having a similar problem. We have recently been upgrading from any workstations in our office from XP home to XP Pro for the server connectivity.

Setting up user accounts on the server to login from workstations, logging into our domain.

One computer for some reason, has reset its user account on 3 different occasions, losing Desktop Settings, everything in the My Documents folder, and also any Outlook messages / calendar / contacts each time.

The three times this has happened are linked to logging out to administrator to install new software, or installing a printer.

This is strange I have never encountered this problem before.

I tried system restore, the computer has some settings restored (desktop), but any documents or files are long gone.

Very strange, any ideas?

for this problem,you can try a popular Outlook recovery tool called Advanced Outlook Repair to repair your PST file. It is a powerful tool to recover messages, folders and other objects from corrupt or damaged Microsoft Outlook PST files.

Detailed information about Advanced Outlook Repair can be found at http://www.datanumen.com/aor/

And you can also download a free demo version at http://www.datanumen.com/aor/aor.exe

Alan

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.