IBM Thinkpad Machine cannot start. Once it started and displayed Warning that desktop was recovered and then it hanged. Now it cannot start completely. I wonder what would be wrong. I remove RAM and HDD and nothing happens. I returns everything in place, yet nothing :(

The friend reported that, the crash was due to game, and I thought may be the fan wasn't working properly but it does. I have checked anything I can think of, but nay, I hit the wall. Any suggestion?? :(

Recommended Answers

Virus/trojan?

Jump to Post

i'd advise you to try reinstalling windows or repairing it. Boot the computer using the Windows CD and choose the repair option. i hope this solves your problem.

Jump to Post

how far is it getting before it bonks?

Jump to Post

sounds hardware related to me, you could try take it somewhere, or pull it apart, but perhaps it is just time...

Jump to Post

All 13 Replies

Virus/trojan?

i'd advise you to try reinstalling windows or repairing it. Boot the computer using the Windows CD and choose the repair option. i hope this solves your problem.

how far is it getting before it bonks?

No Black POST window nothing happens at all. Just little LED that shows computer is on! I wonder what is wrong with the Laptop :(

sounds hardware related to me, you could try take it somewhere, or pull it apart, but perhaps it is just time...

Mhh I don't know, May be I will have to do something later
I have to rest for now!

Ok It sometimes Gets on and I get into XP and after sometime, it gets on but displays nothing :(

I suspect CMOS battery to be exhausted. What are symptoms of exhausted CMOS battery? Can it be the cause? :$

Nah - an exhausted CMOS battery will generate a BIOS error mentioning CMOS.

Something is corrupted or hardware is behaving intermittently (could be bad motherboard junction). Virus/Trojan is also a possibility but I suspect it's hardwre - not CMOS.

it has already been said, but it seems hardware related. if you have warranty, use that, or take it to a repair shop?

Difficult at this distance. Re-build the system from scratch - like from the Windows CD/DVD or from the restore partition if you have one.

If you do have a Windows disk, you can boot from it and try going back a couple of System Restore points (if they exist). It works arounf 50% of the time if there is no other damage. And then you can Repair Windows from the Windows CD/DVD.

Otherise it's trash the HDD and start again. You can get data off by putting the HDD into a USB enclosure and streaming off on another PC.

as it is said sounds hardware .but maybe software/driver conflict that a reinstall of windows would fix !
i have a compaq laptop that will not turn on[most tries] with out removing the battery ,replacing it ,then plugging in power cord and it works every time, i do this

I think I should check Motherboard for dry joints, what do you guys suggest?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.19 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.