Hi. I'm using windows xp 2005 . The problem is , everytime I try to run a cd/vcd to watch a movie , I get an error message after about 2 minutes of starting - " There was an I/O device error " - . I have had my sound card built-in with the gigabyte motherboard and have'nt used any drivers for the sound-card as I've used xp . How can I get rid of this problem ?

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

Which Gigabyte motherboard? It must have a model number, and probably also has a revision number. They'll be printed on the board somewhere.

PS: Please don't tell us it's a 'Triton' or somesuch - that'd be the product line, not the model number ;)

No. Heading to the Gigabyte website, armed with the correct motherboard id, is the choice of preference.

Driverguide is fine as a last resort when you are seeking drivers, but heading there as a first option is a silly move. The manufacturer website is the correct place to locate the most appropriate and up to date drivers for any component whatsoever.

well not having a good connection, the fastest way to get the driver the better. by the way do u have some good site for driver downloads. I have a mainboard that needs updates to install win xp pro and it has all onboard.
modem, sound card, video card, lan etc.

Did you read my previous post? Identify the motherboard. Go to the motherboard manufactuyrer's website for the drivers!

Did you read my previous post? Identify the motherboard. Go to the motherboard manufactuyrer's website for the drivers!

no i actually need sites like driverguide.com

...you didn't start the thread so how do you know what's best for that user? Catweazle IS giving sound advice, much better than yours in this case...a lot of people read this site so when you give bad advice to one person it could be like giving bad advice to thousands.

This could be a good place to start to find that driver: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Motherboard/Support/Driver/Driver_List.htm

You must own a Compaq !:)

...you didn't start the thread so how do you know what's best for that user? Catweazle IS giving sound advice, much better than yours in this case...a lot of people read this site so when you give bad advice to one person it could be like giving bad advice to thousands.

This could be a good place to start to find that driver: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Motherboard/Support/Driver/Driver_List.htm

dear whoever. i have the same problem and i have maybe different hardware. i don't need a different thread, so kindly be polite and answer to my question it might help us both.

You must own a Compaq !:)

why do u think that?? I don' buy pc's i build them the way i want and how i want even modify on needs

condor, if you have the same problem and different hardware you need to list the specifics of the hardware you have. Going to a 'one-stop shop' for hardware drivers is an absolute silliness!

Especially seeing's you are 'building' your PC's yourself, why settle for less than the best. Go to the manufacturer websites for the particular components and get the up to date drivers from there.

Driverguides simply provides a bulletinboard of driver locations which (often unknowledgeable) people have sent in. They may work, they may not, they are almost certainly not the best driver available ;)

condor, if you have the same problem and different hardware you need to list the specifics of the hardware you have. Going to a 'one-stop shop' for hardware drivers is an absolute silliness!

Especially seeing's you are 'building' your PC's yourself, why settle for less than the best. Go to the manufacturer websites for the particular components and get the up to date drivers from there.

Driverguides simply provides a bulletinboard of driver locations which (often unknowledgeable) people have sent in. They may work, they may not, they are almost certainly not the best driver available ;)

well actually after upgrading some pc u have surplus mainboards and so not to WASTE them u use them so i believe you can guess the rest. m770mlrt are not supported any more by PC Chips and no drivers are available. well if u go to the linux section you can see the rest of the story

why do u think that?? I don' buy pc's i build them the way i want and how i want even modify on needs

I say that because I buy and sell older computers and the Compaq site is the worst one for finding motherboard info and drivers ,and i usually endup using driversguide !!!:)

I say that because I buy and sell older computers and the Compaq site is the worst one for finding motherboard info and drivers ,and i usually endup using driversguide !!!:)

so we deal on the same things ehh what is your location. my biggest problem
is the cd which is given with the mainboard. for exaple i have an acerpower bought as second hand no technical manuals nor cd's

I must say that a lot of this is very much off-topic. It's not the same problem at all!

The recycled old euipment you are referring to would not be suitable for use with Windows XP, and it' highly likely that Windows XP drivers would not be available at all for quite a lot of it! We're talking about locating Windows XP drivers, remember.

(blows a whistle) prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrtttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!! I think it's high time we go back to the original topic of this thread, don't you?

(blows a whistle) prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrtttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!! I think it's high time we go back to the original topic of this thread, don't you?

can u at least identify the mainboard and then we will follow. from there we can identify the sound card :lol: :p :mrgreen:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.