Hmm Tell me what else I can check, I use Dial Up at work with above listed software & machine. Upon start up, it takes time to bring up the desktop ????

Then on the net, pages are slow, quite frequent disconnects...Tied into my companies server????? People tell me its dial up, I dont buy it????

I clean temp files, cache, ect.,

Any thoughts?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Maybe check your system start folder:

Start->run->enter 'cmd' and hit enter

Then go to the 'System Start' folder and uncheck all programs that don't need to be started automatically during startup.

Michael

Upon start up, it takes time to bring up the desktop

That could just be due to the amount and/or type of programs that you have configured to run automatically when Windows starts up. Things like anti-virus programs obviously should be auto-started, but you can cut down on your startup time by not auto-loading components related to AIM/AOL, MSN Messenger, RealPlayer, Winamp, Yahoo Messenger, etc.

I use Dial Up at work... Then on the net, pages are slow, quite frequent disconnects...Tied into my companies server????? People tell me its dial up, I dont buy it????

Hang on here- you use dial-up at work to connect to your work's server?? Do you work from an off-site location or something like that? If not, that sounds like a very strange network setup your company has there.

Dial-up is dial-up. Regardless of what server(s) you are connecting to at the other end of the line, you're still at the mercy of the possible limitations that can plague the wiring infrastructure between you and your destination (age/quality of the physical wiring, line noise, etc.).

Maybe check your system start folder:

Start->run->enter 'cmd' and hit enter

Then go to the 'System Start' folder and uncheck all programs that don't need to be started automatically during startup.

Michael

Hrm??

Did you mean "Start->run->enter 'msconfig' and hit enter... Then go to the 'startup' tab?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.