Member Avatar for NePaul

I have heard this phrase a number of times in technical forums, but I have no idea what it means, or why you would do it. Can anyone enlighten me please?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I have heard this phrase a number of times in technical forums, but I have no idea what it means, or why you would do it. Can anyone enlighten me please?

hi,the bios hold all the info to tell windows how and what to use to boot the computer to windows ,it is a cmos memory chip, holding this info ,that can be re-written,[the flash] to solve a problem your motherboard is having with a new device,ect ect .not recommended to do a flash unless you are actually having a problem and your motherboard manufacture recommended a flash and has a updated one to fix the problem .
http://www.sonal.co.uk/y2k10120.htm

Sometimes it is necessary to flash the bios, like when a new model cpu is installed in an upgrade situation, but the board does not recognise it. Simple to do, but just as easy to turn your motherboard into a paper weight if something goes wrong :).

BIOS is the underlying settings that tell your system what to do before the operating system loads. It handles hardware settings, boot priorities, fan settings, controlling integrated components, ect,...

Flashing the BIOS is the process of overwriting the existing BIOS with a new one, this is usually done with an updated version from the manufacturer but occasionally enthusiasts will apply third party bios to certain hardware to add functionality.

Unless you know exactly what you're doing, and are aware of the risks, you should never flash your BIOS unless there's an issue that will be fixed by a newer version.

BIOS is the underlying settings that tell your system what to do before the operating system loads.

I once read this explanation !
the bios is to a computer ,what a pair of skates are to a skater!
one is nothing with out the other

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.