All was well until I installed updates. The computer goes on, message: Windows Explorer has encountered a problem & needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. Task Manager works & it looks like all my programs still work, including wireless DSL. All I get on the screen is my background picture. Restarting and clicking on prior working configuration does not change anything. Help! Spybot does not detect problems, nor does Norton Anti-Virus. All of my programs seem to work. I cannot open/find the control panel to delete the updates. HELP Please. I've never used a chat room or "thread" before.
Error Signature
AppName:explorer.ex5
ClipVer: 6.0.2900.2055
Offset: 00255c2
ModVer: 5.1.2600.205
ModName: kernel32.dll
It goes on and on with exception Information, System Information

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I cannot open/find the control panel to delete the updates.

Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs - Check the box at the top to 'Show Updates'

Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs - Check the box at the top to 'Show Updates'

I called the company that I bought my laptop from. He said I had been infected with a worm and that I needed to back up all of my files and then delete everything and start over (install my XP Pro, etc., etc.)

A friend did finally find my control panel in the safe mode. (I had restarted the computer and clicked on restore to last good configuration...that didn't work.) Spybot and Norton AntiVirus came up with no viruses or problems. My friend is currently backing up on disk all of my files and is going to reinstall everything. I'm scared to update anything now.....My CPU gets an update for Windows everytime I start my computer. The CPR has Windows 2000.

I just can't figure out what happened when I updated the files on my new laptop with Windows XP Professional......Anyone have any ideas????

Thanks a lot!!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.