Hi, i recently re instaled windows xp due to some nastyness, and now the computer thinks i have 2 OS'es, and every boot i get the question of wich to use. the name is the excact same, but the one i use is the one listed last when i get asked.

anyways, here is my boot file:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

You can set timeout to 1 and delete "multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect".
Make sure you delete the correct one or you will kill windows.

Make sure you delete the correct one or you will kill windows.

thats a big part of my problem. its the exact same name on the two "OS'es", how do i know wich is wich? when i get asked wich OS to start during boot, i choose the 2. option. how can i be sure wich one to delete?

If you let the timer run out, will it boot? If so, the default command points to the correct one which is the top one.

solved :) the method you described works. another way that i found is to: run --> msconfig---> boot.ini.
that gives me al the options i need :)

I am glad to hear that it's now sorted. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.