I have a problem with windows XP. The biggest problem is that only it happens sometimes, but since I've installed everything new in my PC, month ago it happened 4 times.
During the startup screen of windows XP, it just stalls, the blue bar stays on going from left to right, but it never goes further with the startup. I've installed all the windows updates.
Somehow safe mode doesn't work, it shows a long list of filenames and then asks me if I want to load a certain *.dll file.. and then stalls as well. The only thing I can do is install windows again....

My system is Athlon +2800, 512 MB memory, gigabyte 7N400Pro2, radeon 9600XT

Hope someone knows what to do..

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

What file does it ask you to load? That may help us determine what needs to be done...

I don't know at the moment, sorry forgot to write that down, have to wait till next crash...

maybe defragment, clean adware/spyware
Just guesses

I Installed a fresh copy of XP, then did all the updates, Add Aware and virusscans. Defragging not nessesary I think....

do a system restore, about a month ago :). Just make sure your restore you computer to whenever it didnt stall any.

My thought is that it has started happening on my machine after downloading the .net Framework 3.5 update. My computer will stall for exactly the number of times I have been prompted by MS Updates to install it ... Often several times a day. Unless I turn off and restart, it makes no difference in the operation. (?)
I too am looking for an answer.

I have a problem with windows XP. The biggest problem is that only it happens sometimes, but since I've installed everything new in my PC, month ago it happened 4 times.
During the startup screen of windows XP, it just stalls, the blue bar stays on going from left to right, but it never goes further with the startup. I've installed all the windows updates.
Somehow safe mode doesn't work, it shows a long list of filenames and then asks me if I want to load a certain *.dll file.. and then stalls as well. The only thing I can do is install windows again....

My system is Athlon +2800, 512 MB memory, gigabyte 7N400Pro2, radeon 9600XT

Hope someone knows what to do..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.