I want to format my machine and load Windows 98. Windows 98 is dumped in my computer in D:/. I also have a network with other machines. Can any one guide me how to do this.

I have
Lan Card
Sound Card
Floppy Drive

I don't have
CD rom drive

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I want to format my machine and load Windows 98. Windows 98 is dumped in my computer in D:/. I also have a network with other machines. Can any one guide me how to do this.

I have
Lan Card
Sound Card
Floppy Drive

I don't have
CD rom drive

contact your network administrator ,for help ,unless that YOU!

My service engineer / network administrator charges a lot for formatting. So I wanted to learn this process to save some money. Kindly guide me to do this.

My service engineer / network administrator charges a lot for formatting. So I wanted to learn this process to save some money. Kindly guide me to do this.

hi ,sorry i would love to but i have no idea how you would do that on a network with out a cdrom ,it must come from the main server or something, probably using a Ghost program or such ,again sorry.

Maybe someone in the networking section can offer some help .go here and post you ? again .
NETworking

There's a way to do it, but it's really convoluted.

The best way to do it is figure out some way to get the Windows 98 installation files on your hard drive, any way possible. You could remove your hard drive and place it in another system temporarily. If you still have a functioning Windows 98 installation and two partitions (you mentioned D:\, so I assume you have a C:\, too), you could copy the files over to a partition that you're not planning to format. If you knew how to load drivers for your LAN card in DOS, you could even map a drive share with the NET USE command, copy the files over from a server, and then initiate the installation (Windows 98 will not install directly from a network share).

There are lots of ways to do it, but they're all pretty convoluted if you're not experienced in doing them. What's stopping you from picking up a CD-ROM drive and installing it? External, internal, it doesn't matter-- they're not really that expensive. You could even get one from a system someone's throwing out! Heck, you could even borrow one, stick it on your IDE cable, and hang it out the side of your system until you're through, if you really wanted to.

My main point is, there's TONS of ways you can install Windows in a situation like yours. The best option, if you can, is just to get a CD-ROM drive, even if you have to buy or borrow one.

If these are newer machines that will allow you to boot to a USB device I would put the 98 setup files on a memory stick...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.