I am having a problem on my Dell XPS 400 desktop with getting my wireless to work for me. I have downloaded and installed the network driver from http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&ServiceTag=&SystemID=XPS/DIMENSION%20400/9150&os=WLH&osl=EN but I still can't get it to work and I'm not able to have my router in the same room as the computer I am currently using. What must I do to get my wireless working on my desktp? I have Windows 7 installed on my machine.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Is the wireless adaptor built in or is it an external one?

It is built in

Have you got 32-bit or 64-bit win 7?

Do you still have Vista or XP installed?

was the wireless adaptor working before with this operating system?

It was working with Ubuntu, I now have Windows 7 32-bit installed

no errors in device manager? is the driver you downloaded for win 7 32 bit or what?

Maybe am off track here, but driver in question appears to be a wireless LAN driver, not for the wireless adapter itself (the Intel official driver-package contains both). Also, the driver is 2yrs old and will likely cause headaches in Win7. Was lucky in my case as like many had wireless out of the box, but on wife's Aspire notebook, simply DL'ed drivers from Intel, which WinUpdate took to a Win7 specific driver build.

Open up Device Manager (from Control Panel), go into Network Adapters. Take not of the wireless device model - go to Intel's DL site and enter model number into the Search Downloads textbox.

DL and install appropriate drivers

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.