Ok so today I just bought and installed 2GB of RAM, and was wondering is it possible to use my old RAM and new RAM at the same time? Because when I inserted the new RAM and turned my computer on, it made like sort of an alarm sound, but then when I took out my old RAM my computer would turn on just fine. My old RAM was 2 512MB equalling 1GB total, but is made by a different company than my new RAM is. This was the first time I've ever upgraded RAM, but I just wanted to know, is it compatible with my other RAM? Or do I have to take my old RAM out?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

To answer your question we need to know:

1/
The full model name of your computer

2/
The original RAM model details

3/
The new RAM model details

What I'd be looking for is that you'vve unknowingly bought slower RAM of the same type than your mweotherbboard is set for.

You could go to www.CPUID.com and download CPU-Z. Run it and post all the results. This will provide important innformation about the setup.

You need to turn off the computer. Remove the power at the wall. Reset the bios using the jumper or by removing the motherboard battery. Have a cup of coffee. Reinstall the battery or move the jumper back. Install the new RAM. Turn the power back on at the wall. Start the computer.
All should be good, provided you purchased the correct RAM :).

To answer your question we need to know:

1/
The full model name of your computer

2/
The original RAM model details

3/
The new RAM model details

What I'd be looking for is that you'vve unknowingly bought slower RAM of the same type than your mweotherbboard is set for.

You could go to www.CPUID.com and download CPU-Z. Run it and post all the results. This will provide important innformation about the setup.

1. I have a Dell XPS 400.
2. The original RAM was 2x512MB equalling 1GB total not sure what company it is made by or what the speed of it is.
3. The new RAM is Corsair Gaming Memory it is desktop memory, and is 1x2GB DDR2 800MHz and is compatible with Dell, HP, and Gateway desktops.

I have my new RAM working, but I wanted to know if I could get it to work at the same time my old RAM is in the computer so I could have 3GB of RAM instead of just 2GB

You will probably be able to use it, but all RAM modules will be reduced to the slowest rated RAM module.
All the modules should have what their rating is and what timings and frequency they run at on a sticker on the side.
Let us know what they are.

mixing ram is not a good thing.diff ram has diff voltage it uses.
plus here is a thing diffrent os see diffrent amounts of ram vista 32 sees around 3.4/3.6 vista 64 see god who knows how much when done tweaking it
xp around 4
but mixing old and new ram will not result in hat you are thinking it will.you will have a bottle neck effect with speeds being dummyed down on the new to match the old.
plus diff voltages will have a performance effect on it.best case is to get more new ram like you bought thats new.
matching ram is your friend

Generally, they should be the same speed, same type (dont mix EEC and non-eec for example) and installed in matching pairs. Also, dont exceed the amount your motherboard can support (usually 4-8gb on current gen boards)

1. I have a Dell XPS 400.
2. The original RAM was 2x512MB equalling 1GB total not sure what company it is made by or what the speed of it is.
3. The new RAM is Corsair Gaming Memory it is desktop memory, and is 1x2GB DDR2 800MHz and is compatible with Dell, HP, and Gateway desktops.

I have my new RAM working, but I wanted to know if I could get it to work at the same time my old RAM is in the computer so I could have 3GB of RAM instead of just 2GB

use the program in Suspishio post and it will tell you who made your old ram and what speed it is that was hi reason for linking the program to help answer your questions ,and solve the reason for the old and the new not working together

use the program in Suspishio post and it will tell you who made your old ram and what speed it is that was hi reason for linking the program to help answer your questions ,and solve the reason for the old and the new not working together

That is so.

You should also make sure that you have all memory in the right banks. The original memory is most-likely running in dual channel, requiring the paired dimms in their appropriate slots. Make sure you're not trying to pair the new stick with one of the 512s (unlikely). Slots should be labeled on the board.

BTW, you should always buy in pairs when it comes to this kind of memory/computer to take advantage of the dual channel capabilities. Also why they more often sell as kits (pairs).

You should go to www.crucial.com and use their memory advisor tool (nothing to install). If not to buy their memory, then to just make sure you know what you need.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.