Hi,

I've suddenly experienced a problem with my window's CD writer. The process starts normally and then when the writing begins i get an error message saying that the writing could not be completed when writing a data CD. The problem also occurs when writing a music CD. This is the first time this has happened and the writer was working fine yesterday.

I have a toshiba laptop with a pentium 4 processer. I'm not sure what the CD drive is but there is only one of them.

I've tried to change the type of CD i use. I have a 52 speed cd writer and am using 52 speed CD's. I've also tried 48 speed. The CDs i have been using are completely clean. I would appreciate any suggestions. My Laptop is going into the shop for repairs as it constantly overheats and turns itself off, but i need to get off confidential information and music before it goes in, in case the computer is replaced under warranty.

I would appreciate any help
Yours,
Simon :eek:

Contributors
Replies
Views
12 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by JANINE

I've had this problem creep up on me several times. Look at the box/case the cd's came in, and see what the max write speed is. Make sure you are at that, or below. Also, try a really slow speed such as 16 or 4, and see if that works. Most of the time this is the result of a picky cd writer. My writer seemed to do pretty good with tdk brand cds...I think that was the name.

Alternatively, if you are unable to write CDs on tha laptop at all, hook it up to someone else's system via a network cable, copy the files across to that system and put them on CD from there.

Say, do you by any chance have problems reading burned data from disk? Especially if the files on the disk are ziped files?

ok - i will try to write at a slower speed, although i'm not sure of how to do it. I'll check it out when i'm back from work. The CD drive has no problems reading burned CD's.

Regards - Simon

I've had this problem creep up on me several times. Look at the box/case the cd's came in, and see what the max write speed is. Make sure you are at that, or below. Also, try a really slow speed such as 16 or 4, and see if that works. Most of the time this is the result of a picky cd writer. My writer seemed to do pretty good with tdk brand cds...I think that was the name.

i too had this problem and i agree that sometimes the writer can be picky. for example my writer will not write to Packard bell or Imagine discs. I found that Emtec and master are more than good enough. BTW mine's a 48x speed.

Also, this might pose as a possibility for you guys too. When my drive begun to act up (complete refusal to write), it pointed down to a driver problem with the Roxio software it uses to write the files. I just went away and updated that thru the Roxio site. No problems sice then. When the error message comes up, it should tell you why the writing couldn't be completed;)

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.