Before speed of my laptop was great it was fast when i turn on laptop and go to windows right away but now it's so slow it take like 3-4 minutes.
i hope someone can explain and tell me what to do now

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

What have you installed or changed on the laptop since the last time it was quick to start. Obviously something is being loaded at startup which is slowing the process down.

Have you checked your fragmentation levels lately? Maybe running a defrag would speed up the startup.

What have you installed or changed on the laptop since the last time it was quick to start. Obviously something is being loaded at startup which is slowing the process down.

nothing changed

Have you checked your fragmentation levels lately? Maybe running a defrag would speed up the startup.

can you show me how?

can you show me how?

Go to Start>Accessories>System tools>Disk defragmenter>select the drive you want to check the frag levels for and click analyze. this will advise you on whether it neeeds a defrag or not. third party automatic tools are much easier to use though and faster as well.

netstat -ano 1

ctrl-alt-delete post a screenshot showing your PID's. (nockout IP's)

Start -> Run -> type msconfig

Go to the startup tab. Take checks out of the boxes for stuff you don't need/want to start up with your computer. You might find there's some spyware/adware in there - WinToolsA (WebSearch Toolbar), gator, crap like that, slowing down your boot. If you see this, you may want to download Microsoft's Anti-Spyware tool at

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/thankyou.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en&Hash=6XXRWN9.

Otherwise, look at what else is there that you don't need, just don't disable things like mouse or keyboard items that could be there (point32, iTouch, mmkeybd, etc.), or you'll lose the special functionality to your devices that those programs provide. msnappau, drgtodsc, qttask, ypager, dumprep, tkbellapp, and mimboot are OK to uncheck, and are common if you have Roxio, MSN Messenger, QuickTime, MusicMatch Jukebox, RealPlayer, or Yahoo Messenger. Look at the file path in the Command section to tell you what it is. If in doubt, leave it alone. Hit Apply and OK when done, and reboot. You'll get a prompt when you return about the fact you adjusted your boot process - hit the checkbox on the nag screen to never show up again (though it always will if you ever do an 'msconfig' again - a bug XP has) and hit OK. Hope it works out.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.