Member Avatar for Eric^^

when i turn on my pc the pc says that a disk read error occurred press ctrl+alt+del to restart... what should i do i have checked the connections but still it comes and if i disconnect the wires from the hard drive then pc starts normaly... plz help....

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

if i disconnect the wires from the hard drive then pc starts normaly... plz help....

normally means it would boot to windows,unplugged hdd will not bootto windows ,
my experience is that the drive is either dead ,or a bad cable,or bad software issue like a boot manager file
try booting to a windows cd and run repair

Member Avatar for Eric^^

normally means it would boot to windows,unplugged hdd will not bootto windows ,
my experience is that the drive is either dead ,or a bad cable,or bad software issue like a boot manager file
try booting to a windows cd and run repair

i got 500 GB hdd witch is the windows one and a 80 GB hdd it is just for junk and games.... but like if i connect the pata cable and disconnect the power cable then the hdd goes hot....

i got 500 GB hdd witch is the windows one and a 80 GB hdd it is just for junk and games.... but like if i connect the pata cable and disconnect the power cable then the hdd goes hot....

oh,that different ,you fail to mention that it was a slave drive in your first post ,all i can say is hard drives go bad overnight or quicker !!

Member Avatar for Eric^^

oh,that different ,you fail to mention that it was a slave drive in your first post ,all i can say is hard drives go bad overnight or quicker !!

so does this mean that my hdd is dead? O_o

so does this mean that my hdd is dead? O_o

hard to say exactly from a distance ,check in bios to make sure computer is set to boot from the 500 gig drive

Member Avatar for Eric^^

hard to say exactly from a distance ,check in bios to make sure computer is set to boot from the 500 gig drive

my computer is booting from the 500 gb it is running vista home premium.... the 80 gb is a slave whit pata connection

my computer is booting from the 500 gb it is running vista home premium.... the 80 gb is a slave whit pata connection

but only if the 80 gig is not installed ,did you check boot order in the bios to make sure it is 500 gig drive set as first bott and not the pata 80 gig drive

ok,so what are jumpers set at on the drive ,if master try changing it to slave

Member Avatar for Eric^^

but only if the 80 gig is not installed ,did you check boot order in the bios to make sure it is 500 gig drive set as first bott and not the pata 80 gig drive

ok,so what are jumpers set at on the drive ,if master try changing it to slave

yes the 500 gb is the first boot the jumper is slave the 500 gb is sata connection the pata connects the hdd and dvd drive i tryed to set the hdd to master and dvd to slave but that didnt work and i changed it back hdd is slave and dvd is master and then it didnt work too but the hdd was working about 1 week ago

but the hdd was working about 1 week ago

my word is not Gospel but It work and now it doesn't they its dead or at best has problems ,i would now take it and try it in another computer because i have that option ,you may not ,but that is what needs to be done in my opinion

Member Avatar for Eric^^

my word is not Gospel but It work and now it doesn't they its dead or at best has problems ,i would now take it and try it in another computer because i have that option ,you may not ,but that is what needs to be done in my opinion

i have an old computer i can try it on that but i dont have the paste on the cpu i need to buy it then i can try it :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.