argh!

heres the deal. my brothers Dell Inspiron 1100 doesnt let u get into Windows XP. If u try to go to Safe Mode, u get this error

STOP: c0000218 {registry file failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
/SystemRoot/System32/Config/SYSTEM
or its log or alternate
It is corrup, absent, or not writable.

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete
Conact your system admin or tech suppor group for further assistance.

the thing hangs forever if u try to load up in normal mode and then u get the same blue screen of death

Ok, so i do the first logical thing : Change the boot sequence and boot from that convenient Dell Purple XP Windows Recovery cd. I select the repair option and it asks me which version of windows do i want to logon to? So i press 1 (cuz thats the only one) and it asks me for the admin password. So i type it in.

You guessed it. Password Invalid.

It makes absolutley no sense. the only thing i can possibly think of is that the password is to long? is that the problem. its a 12 charachter password and each key deliberatly typed in slowly. So I really cant figure it out.

Help Please!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Are you sure that you are typing the password correctly ??? if yes then check your username .... you could be typing the password of a user account with admin previllages .... you actually have to type the real admin password (the account with the name administrator) ... Try using a blank password too.

More than likely, it's going to be blank. That's my guess if you've never installed Windows.

Excellent idea ppl, but thats not that answer

This problem is occuring when i try to run the recovery console. You must hav an admin password to acces and THAT is what i am doin. Somehow, its gotten changed and I dont know how. IT WONT ACCEPT MY PAssword adn theres no reaason it shouldnt.

there are a handful of freeware tools out there to reset password. I use ERD commander which is not free but works well. The other alternative is to reinstall Windows.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.