hi,

I am not sure whether this is the forum but I am posting this here.PLz do bear with me.

I am using the Iomega CD_RW (52x32x52). The issue is the following:

related to :-
I had to write a pdf document -

TRIAL ONE FOR THE ABOVE
What I did:-
I tried to create a data disc - the writing was done at a speed of 52x and i was using a 52x cd.
Observations :
the buffer was falling to 0% from 40% repeatedly but the operateion was said sucessful after 3 inutes of burning.
Worry:
Not able to open the file in another system.

TRIAL TWO FOR THE SAME NEED
what I did:
I just copied the file to CD_RW icon and the file was copied in 6 minutes with copying process showing too...!!!
Worry:
The CD / Drive is not accesible and some command issue was popped up.

TRIAL THREE: SUCEESSFUL

what I did:
I got a 12x cd-rw and tried to create the data disc and it started writing at 12x !!! only and this cd is acceible for other systems too....
Please anyone know why this is happening ...What should be the thing I should take care of...Actually , i Had a 100 cd's of 52x brought for backing the entire hardisk as it is and really worried about the thing...I can't afford to buy this number of CD-RW...

Thanking you in advance , I remain

Sincerely
harish Balakrishnan Marar

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

hi,

I was just going on checking my thread , but nobody is giving me a reply? I sincerely would like to know the reason.plz, If you could point to some things like CD writing, writing Speed, the safest approach, writer speed and CD capabililty in speed etc would be appreciated with this context.

Thanking you for the patience and concern (in advance , I remain)
Harish

Some old CD-Rom Drives are unable to read CD's burnt at very high speed. Lower the speed to 4x and check whether this works. Or perhaps the other CD-Rom drives lens needs to be cleaned.

Some old CD-Rom Drives are unable to read CD's burnt at very high speed. Lower the speed to 4x and check whether this works. Or perhaps the other CD-Rom drives lens needs to be cleaned.

hi Karthik,

Yes, that might be the issue of old cd-drives but this cd-writer when given to write the CD's of 52x to write at a speed of 8x(minimum) or 16x says "error" though it can write at max speed or 52x.

Also, with a cd-rw of 12x it works fine- write at 12x only and it is readable from other systems too.

Really, wondering why this is happening >? ONe reason would be as you said of others having old cd-drives but what about the cd-rw with 12x ?

Thanking you for the reply,I remain

with regards
Harish Balakrishnan Marar

Hi, and sorry for the delay in getting to your question.

I suspect a clue to your problem might lie in:

i Had a 100 cd's of 52x brought for backing the entire hardisk as it is and really worried about the thing..

If that's a spidle of 100 budgetty CDs it is probably the case that you're simply trying to burn at too high a speed to get reliable results. I don't care how fast the manufacturer claims the drive can burn at, the higher the write speed the more likelihood of 'coasters' you introduce.

I'd suggest you reduce the write speed to something more reasonable and see if you get more reliable outcomes. Anything above 24x write speed, after all, is really only a luxury to be used with the most expensive high quality blanks ;)

It is also preferable, if you are experiencing burn quality problems, to shut down as many background tasks as you can whilst burning.

Hi, and sorry for the delay in getting to your question.

I suspect a clue to your problem might lie in:

If that's a spidle of 100 budgetty CDs it is probably the case that you're simply trying to burn at too high a speed to get reliable results. I don't care how fast the manufacturer claims the drive can burn at, the higher the write speed the more likelihood of 'coasters' you introduce.

I'd suggest you reduce the write speed to something more reasonable and see if you get more reliable outcomes. Anything above 24x write speed, after all, is really only a luxury to be used with the most expensive high quality blanks ;)

It is also preferable, if you are experiencing burn quality problems, to shut down as many background tasks as you can whilst burning.

hi,

THanks for the reply. I would like to mention that when in the trial two: it showed some error and job queue related things ...I am really not ableto make out exactly but hope it would give you too in narrowing the focus and in turn help me in knowing the exact steps i should take care of so that i am not wasting 10 CD's again before I get a CD-RW.

:)

thakns for the reply and wishing you a nice time
I remain
Harish balakrishnan Marar

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.