Hello!
i'm running a celeron 2.00GHz laptop on windows XP home edition. it runs at 240MB RAM. it is a new system but when i click on a link in internet explorer 6.0 the window completely freezes. the mouse icon stays as the little hand thing and i have to close explorer. the system is then fine. it hasn't always been like this, but i'm not sure exactly when the changes happened. i have tried obvious stuff like opening in a new window and copy/pasting the site address but nothing works. i was thinking about wiping the hard disk and starting again but that seems like quite a lot of effort for a minor, though annoying problem. i have various programs like McAffee and pest patrol, so i don't think it is a virus or trogan or whatever. anything you could do to help would be great! thanks

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

try spybot and ad-aware in my signature .update before using

Ok, thanks but no joy. they found some stuff from new.net and other various registry things which were then removed but the problem persists. also i had to google them as the links in your sig made my browser crash. :sad: any other ideas?

sorry that was my 2 cents,but if you browser went wacky because of the links in my sig ,then you do have issues !:)

wow. my hero. ok then, thanks for trying! :)

Ihad the same problem and a couple of commands on the run menu should sort it out do a search on links and it is there somewhere if you canr find it post a reply and i will get it for you

ok, did a search on links but just got a load of interactual and hotmail stuff. sorry, i think i need to be spoon-fed this one...

i just thought of something if your links wont work you cant click on the link i posted haha just type it in manually its been a long day

I know, funny, huh? ;)
So i tried that site and now the original link you sent works as do the ones in caperjack's sig, but not most others. still, this is a huge improvement so thankyou! if you have any other ideas, that would be great.

when i had this trouble i installed netscape browser and it was a lot quicker a worked perfect you could do this to see if the problem is just with IE and start from there

But won't explorer leave a bunch of trip wires and little programs to screw up any other programs that come along? my friend tried to switch from aol to freeserve and got a real kick in the teeth for it.

haha aol is like a virus itself it takes over your cpu try netscape you got nothing to lose if you dont get anywhere just uninstall it i know a few guys who run several browsers at once not sure why but they do worth a go

First please get Spybot S&D to clear out most of the spyware.

Short tutorial and download link here:
http://tomcoyote.org/SPYBOT/

Fix everything SpybotSD labels in red.

Then after reboot:
Download 'Hijack This!'. http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/
Unzip to a permanent folder, doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button.
Press that, save the log, load it in Notepad, and copy its contents here. Most of what it

lists will be harmless or even essential, don't fix anything yet.
then post the log here

Hmmm. can't post. bear with me!

But that worked! ok, i try to copy/paste the hijackthis scan into the reply and i get a "read error" and url can't be found screen. i'm pretty sure it's ok tho, i got a friend "in the know" to check it out. i'm gonna go ahead with netscape.

I have internet explorer 7... i think... but i have have several problems, but with links not working properly... i tried everything that yall said and nothing has worked. and i'm not sure if its because yall were talking about internet explorer 6 but i'm going to see if i havent downloaded internet explorer yet. o and the links dont work if when i move the curser over them and where it usually says "done" the first words are Javascript... and my java is up to date so i dont know wht the problem is.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.