Member Avatar for ingeborgdot@yah

I want to transfer my files, pictures etc. from one computer to another. I have never done anything like this before. What would be the best way to do this?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

What Windows versions on the computers?

Do they have network (LAN) cards or onboard LAN?

you could always just pack up the files using the "Files & settings transfer wizard"
built int most versions of windows.. is capable of getting mail and bookmarks too.
(but no bookmarks for Firefox or mail settings for Thunderbird)

its pretty straight forward to use and all you have to do is import/export one file..

check it out from the start menu: Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools> Files and Settings Transfer Wizard.

Windows xp pro. When you say network lan and onboard lan I lose you. Could you further explain this a little. Sometimes my brain goes elsewhere.

I will have more the 6gb of info to transfer.

you could always just pack up the files using the "Files & settings transfer wizard"
built int most versions of windows.. is capable of getting mail and bookmarks too.
(but no bookmarks for Firefox or mail settings for Thunderbird)

its pretty straight forward to use and all you have to do is import/export one file..

check it out from the start menu: Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools> Files and Settings Transfer Wizard.

you could also use winzip and then ftp to the new machine

or you could burn multiple CDs with your files on them..

or (my personal favorite) WINSCP works with many many files
and directories.. drag and drop interface..

you can get it for free at:
WinSCP - http://www.winscp.com/

but.. if youre on a properly setup windows domain your files should
travel with you from client to client.. along with your bookmarks etc..
no matter where you login at. (6GB would be a giant profile)

you have endless options, pick one if you dont like it, pick another

enjoy,
Cain

What about itunes, napster, and media player 10?

those are probably 'node locked' liscences and wont transfer without some sort of
tool to hack each one and are bound to your current system by Mac Address. Sorry
about your media, thank your congressman, Disney and Metallica for the Digital Millenium
Copyright Act.

Happy hacking,
Cain

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.