On my computer we have three different log-on accounts. One of the accounts doesn't work anymore. Whenever you log on the whole thing freezes, the clock won't change and nothing will work. I decided to call my computer company (dell) and they said that I have a corrupt profile. They also said to just make a new account. I have already made that account but I have files on the old account that I need. How do I transfer those files to the new account?

Thank You,
Rebecca

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Just go to your c drive (in which windows is installed) -- documents and settings -- choose the user you want to copy files from -- open desktop folder and all the desktop items from that user account will be available to you ..

That might not work. Windows would see you're not the right user for which those files belong to. You won't have permission. Even sticking the harddrive into another machine you won't be able to access them. You might be able to gain "ownership" of the files, but that doesn't always work. I tried that before and it was a major pain trying to get those files.

That might not work. Windows would see you're not the right user for which those files belong to. You won't have permission. Even sticking the harddrive into another machine you won't be able to access them. You might be able to gain "ownership" of the files, but that doesn't always work. I tried that before and it was a major pain trying to get those files.

This only happens if the content of the profile has been encrypted ...

Any profile is accessable if you have admin on that machine.

I would recommend that if you have a second drive or partition, that you transfer that users documents to a new folder there. Then right click My Documents, and select properties. In the target field select the new folder, and all the profile documents will be transfered there. This means that if you loose your primary drive / partition, you dont loose your documents, and you have that protection whilst having the convenience of using My Documents. Add file permissions to that folder as required.

This is good practice for most people, and for this reason a second drive or partition is always a good thing to configure.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.