Hi there,

Recently, I changed from a 20gb to 40gb hardisk and install Win XP on it. Installation was completed and the pc was required to reboot. Once rebooted, the white time line runs and then the pc reboots itself. This happens all the way till you switch it off manually. I've tried reinstalling several times, changed the memory & also the cables. Same prob! Was wondering what could be the problem?

Spec: Pentium 3 800ghz

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Any help on the above matter??

Hi there,

Recently, I changed from a 20gb to 40gb hardisk and install Win XP on it. Installation was completed and the pc was required to reboot. Once rebooted, the white time line runs and then the pc reboots itself. This happens all the way till you switch it off manually. I've tried reinstalling several times, changed the memory & also the cables. Same prob! Was wondering what could be the problem?

Spec: Pentium 3 800ghz

NF,

Seems very odd. The HD space should easily be within your systems range. The OS startup screen- restart situation seems like a software issue. I'd attempt to format the drive clean and then reinstall your OS from scratch. If this problem persists, I'd recommend putting the old drive back in and see if your system runs fine. If it does run well with the old HD, then I'd wager your 40GB hard drive has a problem. Like I said before, it does not sound like a hardware failure, but anything's possible.

Also, why not set up the 40GB as a second drive and run your OS off the 20GB? Is there a problem with the 20GB? Noise, case space, etc? Just curious really. Anyways, let us know.

~Trezier

NF,

Seems very odd. The HD space should easily be within your systems range. The OS startup screen- restart situation seems like a software issue. I'd attempt to format the drive clean and then reinstall your OS from scratch. If this problem persists, I'd recommend putting the old drive back in and see if your system runs fine. If it does run well with the old HD, then I'd wager your 40GB hard drive has a problem. Like I said before, it does not sound like a hardware failure, but anything's possible.

Also, why not set up the 40GB as a second drive and run your OS off the 20GB? Is there a problem with the 20GB? Noise, case space, etc? Just curious really. Anyways, let us know.

~Trezier

Hi, thanx for the help.. I did like wat u told me, the problem still exist. Exactly the same prob!!:sad: I reformated the old drive and still no difference. Do you think it could be the processor or the motherboard itself? Or could it be the display adapter as it reboots exactly before the XP logo displays....

I had a similar problem but after a bios update it went away. :eek:

I had this problem and ran chkdsk from the recovery console, it found some discrepencies and sorted it out, turns out it was a missing boot.ini file which was making windows go nuts . :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.