I have purchased an internet cleaner and it said it would clean the "pagefile.sys". What is this first of all and since it says it cleans it at shutdown why does the file still say it has 384 mb in it after I restart the computer? For instance it says on the properties tab " modified (date and time with 384 mb) " then " last accessed (date and time with still 384 mb) ". Is the cleaner working or not for the pagefile? Someone please enlighten I would really appreciate it. Thank you. I'm running windows xp sp2.

pagefile.sys is the swap space for information that is swapped to the harddrive out of memory. From everything that I've read, it is not necessary to "clean" this file. There are no performance gains by doing so. 384MB might be the smallest size that Windows allows this file to be. Unless you have major performance issues due to your Virtual Memory (what Windows calls the swap file) configuration, I'd leave all of that alone.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.