hello all, hope someone can help me, i cannot install windows xp updates, downloading is ok but nothing happens when trying to install, i have windows xp pro, i have norton internet security 2005 loaded and i have tried turning off firewall but nothing.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

How are you trying to install the updates?
What do you mean by "nothing happens"? Is there an error message?

How are you trying to install the updates?
What do you mean by "nothing happens"? Is there an error message?

after going into windows update, several updates will be selected, after clinking the download and install button the progress bar will show the downloads progress which is fine but when it then attempts to install the progress bar shows nothing and nothing happens.

Do updates work if you turn on the feature to automatically download and install updates?

Do updates work if you turn on the feature to automatically download and install updates?

no,i think somehow norton is blocking,this is a new computer and after it failed the first time i reset to factory settings and downloaded windows updates before loading norton with no problems then i loaded norton and after that tried downloading more windows updates but the problem was back. like i have said it downloads fine but when it tries to install nothing happens, it says initializing installation but nothing happens, no error messages and no progress bar action, when turning off computer it will try and install but again nothing happens, i have tried switching off norton but again the same and i feel only by taking away norton will they install.but am reluctant to do this.

Would you have a problem with removing Norton to test if you can install updates with it removed?

Would you have a problem with removing Norton to test if you can install updates with it removed?

just about to do that (reluctantly) but thankyou very much for you input.

just about to do that (reluctantly) but thankyou very much for you input.

well, as suspected after removing norton, windows updates have installed ok. but to reiterate i have a brand new computer running a fully up to date windows xp pro os and fully up to date norton internet security 2005 yet there is a conflict between them that prevents me installing windows updates. any ideas ? :confused:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.