Hey everyone,
I'm new to posting forums, so please bear with me. I don't know what info I need to put down and all that. I have Windows XP Professional Edition, and I think something got onto my computer yesterday. It keeps changing, though so I couldn't really get help by reading other forums. It started out as a batch file called xy.bat and Hacktool.rootkit.exe, but it seems like they're gone now (I found and deleted the batch file, and I've been doing various scans with Norton, Spybot, Adaware, and Microsoft Antispyware). Now, whenever I turn on my computer, a message comes up saying there's an error with palsp.exe. There are also a few "System Error" messages that come up at startup. Also, sometimes when I shutdown now, a blue screen comes up saying there's an error, and it starts "dumping memory"?

I'm not sure what other info would be useful, so I'll just stop here and see what happens. Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

And I just found that xy.bat and Hacktool.rootkit are still there. The Hacktool.rootkit is in C:\msdirectx.sys, but Norton can't get rid of it, and I can't delete it. I did however alter the batch file - I put REM on every line to comment it off, so I'm hoping whatever replaced it after I deleted it last time will see that it's still there and not change it back.

Also, I didn't realize until after I started this thread that there was a section specifically for "Viruses, Spyware, & other Nasties", so I apologize for being in the wrong section.

I started a new thread in the Viruses section with more information like a HijackThis log, so don't worry about replying to this one. (I don't know how to delete this thread, or I would just do that.)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.