bought a new PC with WinXP, have another hard drive with Win98 I installed in this box on a seperate hard drive, Is there any way I can put both drives in ths tower and make it a dual boot system? I would prefer to keep both operating systems on seperate drives.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I don't know the exact process for this, but one thing you might want to start reading up on is boot.ini. You will have to modify this file to add 98 to the boot options. I was unable to find examples of building a dual/multi-boot system without doing fresh installs, but I suppose that it is possible.

What advantage do you see by having the ability to boot into 98? If your system is capable of running XP, you should always run XP. 98 doesn't offer anything that XP isn't able to do.

I have 98 SE and want XP for Movie Maker, as that seems added with ME/2000. I used that program as a jumping off point for vids and pics capture
I am just told my current 256MB memory may hinder going to XP however. I started a thread specific to that. Since I still have my own Win98 2nd Ed. disk, I'm not concerned with keeping it on a HDD myself. I'm also interested in the reasoning. I recently swapped HDDs between machines to see if my 1st PC's Windows ME HDD at 30GB would work in the former (although newer) PC, it didn't, but adjusted back to the original machine easily. Windows 98 didn't though. At 20 GB, I'm not sure if I'll wind up maxing it out before long
BILL

I don't know the exact process for this, but one thing you might want to start reading up on is boot.ini. You will have to modify this file to add 98 to the boot options. I was unable to find examples of building a dual/multi-boot system without doing fresh installs, but I suppose that it is possible.

What advantage do you see by having the ability to boot into 98? If your system is capable of running XP, you should always run XP. 98 doesn't offer anything that XP isn't able to do.

Well what happened was my father bought a new PC for his office with XP, has a software app on his Windows98 pc that won't run with XP and it costs a pretty penny. So for the time being, i did a ghost image of the 98 drive and copied it to a new drive, and put it in place of the drive with XP on it, When I booted the Win98 in the new tower I basiclly had to do a full labotomy with the hardware drivers, it was successfull, but now i want to have both drives in there and have the ability to boot from either one.
Someone told me I can use Acronis to do this task so I will look into it, but any other suggestions would help too.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.