I would like to know if there is some way to search through all the folders on a drive to find out how my disk space is being used. I want to search my files to see what can be deleted for space or at lease to see where it is being wasted.

I recall XTree being a good piece of software but have not seen it for quite some time now.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I am sure that google might bring up some software for this but there is one way that I use fairly regulary!
Using linux (via a boot cds or installed) there is an equivalent of file manager (forgoptten what it is called!) but that gives a very good picturesque layout (or text description) of the proportions of files taking up space on the disk;

Then you can revert to windows and choose the directories and in explorer go to view mode and choose details. You then get a list and by going to the 'size' tab at the top you can order the files in size order. helps to get rid of the bigger ones more easily !!
Bi over the top but it works!
M

I use FolderSizes to know how much each folder exactly takes space, It is free application. and it make a chart for partition showing you which folder eats free space on hard disk.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.