I play an MMORPG called World of Warcraft and occasionally my system freezes while playing. The only thing I can do is restart, and the speakers on my PC make a buzzing noise when this happens. THe screen freezes on the game. When I look at my Event Viewer it says things about fasttx2k. I found it in my system32/drivers/ folder. What do I do?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Does anyone have anything to say about this? I went into the system32/driver/ folder and took out fasttx2k file. I thought that had fixed it but now the event viewer says "fasttx2k" failed to load to it shutdown.

fasttx2k is a driver. Since you removed it, you will receive errors. I recommend reinstalling your motherboard drivers. If you need help on how to do this, I will be glad to walk you through the process.

As for the messages in your system log that you saw regarding fasttx2k, what did they actually say? Were they errors or just informative messages? The content of the message is very important.

There are many things that could cause WoW to crash. Since your system is freezing like that, my first thoughts are that this is caused by faulty memory, a power supply that is going on, a defective video card, or even the system overheating. Has this problem always happened or was there a period of time when this did not happen and one day it started occuring?

Please answer all of my questions since they are all important in order for me to give good advice and fix your problems faster.

fasttx2k is a driver. Since you removed it, you will receive errors. I recommend reinstalling your motherboard drivers. If you need help on how to do this, I will be glad to walk you through the process.

As for the messages in your system log that you saw regarding fasttx2k, what did they actually say? Were they errors or just informative messages? The content of the message is very important.

Ok, I installed the IDE drivers for my Promise Fasttrack 378 driver. This has solved that problem that made the device in "Device Manager" have an error.

There are many things that could cause WoW to crash. Since your system is freezing like that, my first thoughts are that this is caused by faulty memory, a power supply that is going on, a defective video card, or even the system overheating. Has this problem always happened or was there a period of time when this did not happen and one day it started occuring?

The problem when playing used to happen. I tried to install Windows x64 on my system and got an error and had to get a enw hard drive. Since then it hasn't happened until just about a week ago. I changed some settings in the video performance and it started giving me problems like that again... I changed them back but it shouldn't be doing that in the first place.

You pack a lot of information in a short space, so it is getting a bit vague.

• You had lock ups while trying to play WoW.
  • You tried to install Windows 64-bit Edition, but you got an error.
  • Since you got the error, you purchased a new harddrive and installed Windows XP on it.
  • After you installed Windows XP and played the game, the lock ups did not occur.
  • You changed some video performance settings. Can you be more specific about which settings you changed (video options in WoW, graphics card settings on the system, clock speeds, etc)?
  • After you changed the settings for the video performance, your system started to lock up while playing WoW.
  • You changed the settings back, but the lock ups still occur.

Am I understanding you correctly? It is very important that I understand exactly what's happening so I can assist you properly.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.