Hello all tutor,

I want to know how to reinstall my windows xp without losing my data,

thanks before

Recommended Answers

All 29 Replies

Hi blogger371,

unfortunately there's no way to reinstall windows xp safely without losing any data in windows partition directory.

If you still want to format anyway, just backup all your important files and folders to another available partition ie. Drive D, Drive D or in external storage. That way, you won't lose your important data when reformatting...

I haven't try this before but I'm not sure if this will work... Might as well backup everything before trying this method

Boot from your windows xp cd installer and let it proceed till it reach windows xp setup screen. Press Enter to enter setup, choose to install in the same partition as your windows are (default are C: but some computer may vary) then choose leave all files intact.

It should install windows without formatting and possibly won't lose much data...

Hope this helps...

If you choose to reinstall Windows WITHOUT ANY SORT OF FORMAT of the selected drive/partition then theoretically you should not lose any personal files, data.
Or you could do this [and it is easy]: get Easeus Partition Manager [free], use it to make room by shoving the inside edge of your Windows directory to the left if it is not full, make a new partition in the newly-created free space, and place any must-keep files in there. Reinstalling Windows to C: just won't touch that new drive. If you don't fool about with the way Windows operates, where it places files etc then you might give it 25GB [minimum, or more- say, half your drive total space] to live inside. Use the remainder for your other drive.

You can't. Also it had to depens on what format type you are using. Reformat deletes all data on your laptop, you have to backup on an external hard disk to prevent data loss just like what flagstar have said.

Wait, i did not know gerbil had already said that. Lol

Well everybody, thank you very much for your attention. I'll try...

Good luck,

we want to hear results from you soon... ^^

my first question is why you want/need to reinstall xp

@ caperjack

Maybe he has some problem with his laptop that he does not know how to solve. Maybe virus infection or computer freezing. Don't know have to ask the OP himself.

@ caperjack

Maybe he has some problem with his laptop that he does not know how to solve. Maybe virus infection or computer freezing. Don't know have to ask the OP himself.

i realize that ,that's why i asked him/her for the answer ,then we can make suggestions

The only way to reinstall windows without loosing your data it's to copy all of your data that you-re need it in another partition, or just save them on a dvd.

Sorry, i beg to differ. If reinstalling XP, Setup will not overwrite files other than those in the Windows directory and certain other XP system files in Program Files, Documents and Settings and the root directory. Data files and files in My Documents remain.

Hi Gerbil. It depends on what type of reinstallation the OP is looking for. Sometimes program files will still remain on your computer. And most of the time people said when the lost or cannot find their file after reinstallation its because the files are either hidden or the file name has changed.

Repair install won't delete data but reformat will delete all data.

Yes, it is because every install adobe photoshop always asking confirmation code. I used 30 day trial. Maybe it is because it has registered in windows registry

That is correct, blogger. Upon reinstallation [without any type of format], or with a Repair a lot of software apps get broken like that.
As i said before, NO format of Windows drive [partition] => no data loss; apps with reg entries die.

I want to reinstall my windows because I cant install adobe photoshop. It is always ask for registration code. I thought because it is add in windows registry, I use free 30 day trial before. But after I reinstall the windows, adobe photoshop still ask for registration code hehehe.. :(

I see that you actually want to use Photoshop with an extendable trial mode which you want to use it after trial period has ended, right?

Well there's a way but I'm not sure if I can post the link to you since it would somehow be illegal to do that.

I want to reinstall my windows because I cant install adobe photoshop. It is always ask for registration code. I thought because it is add in windows registry, I use free 30 day trial before. But after I reinstall the windows, adobe photoshop still ask for registration code hehehe.. :(

the reinstall ,without formatting the drive will not change the registry entries .

What caperjack said is true. Are you planning to use Adobe trial version until the trial period is over than reformat your XP and download the Adobe trial version again for any 30days until the cycle goes on and you do not need to pay for it. If that is the case, we are sorry we cannot help you because it is illegal and cheating the developer products.

Oh yes, you know what, in my country all available software is too expensive. So please understand about this case. I agree with you (quote)it is illegal and cheating the developer products.(quote)

I teach my wife to edit photos she want to upload to facebook, and she really happy to use adobe photoshop :)

thank you caperjack, can I crope photos with google picasa?

copy from my link ,.the word crop appears in the second line ,good luck
features =
Organize and view your entire photo collection in one place
Edit pictures, crop, fix red-eye, and more
Create stunning collages and slideshows
Share online with family and friends using Picasa Web Albums

You can reinstall the operating system without loosing personal files if they are not contained in default Windows "my document or users" folders, by using the repair option as you execute a normal Windows installation via a Windows recovery disk
During the installation process Windows will detect a current installation and ask whether you want to repair or reinstall, just click repair and follow prompts
Some computer vendors support this as an option for their onboard recovery processes
However is not totally safe in keeping personal files

repartition your hard drive assuming you have obly one partition (this can be done by making the partition smaller, and creating a new one out of the free space created) using a partitioning software, put all your important data into the new partition, reinstall windows into the old partition, copy your data back to the old partition and merge the two partitions. easy :)

stop it all ready ,he doesn't need to reinstall his windows !
he just wanted to do so because he thought it would make photo shop work again

Hi - if photoshop remains unregistered after the trial has expired , is important to uninstall, while saving any image files to removable media
I suggest use this program to do so : revo uninstaller
http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

it will run the software vendor uninstall program first then ask to restart the computer, cancel that and continue to the next 2 processes to delete all remaining elements, then restart the computer

if you seek a basic but useful and easy to use, almost no resource, photo editor i suggest try Infraview
http://www.irfanview.com/

just backup all your data to another disk drive, Done...! :D
or if u want to install it without losing data and u can't backup your data to another drive, dont format the disk drive, u can install windows xp without disk formatiing.

just backup all your data to another disk drive, Done...! :D
or if u want to install it without losing data and u can't backup your data to another drive, dont format the disk drive, u can install windows xp without disk formatiing.

5 cents per click ,aint no one here dumb enough to click your link

Spammer? Let's report him

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.