Hi,
when i boot my notebook i can only reach the windows logo and then a blue screen appears with the error message " No mountable boot device" can someone help me solve this problem. i am using a Toshiba notebook with a Windows 7 starter OS. thanks

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

I have never seen that before, sounds scary, have you checked the BIOS?
or booting into safemode?
you can also do startup repair if you have the install disc.

I tried booting into safe mode, but still have the same message. There's is also an option to do start up repair but the problem is, I dont have the disc to launch the start up repair. I think there must have been a fault with the device driver .. or what do you think?

sorry i'm so late to reply, but any windows7 install disc will get you into startup repair, there is a way to make your own startup repair disc, using windowsAIK, but the install disc works just as well...
-startup repair has saved my butt more than few times!

Your hard disk is not getting detected. Maybe you accidentally change your startup disk. You have to get an install disk and try booting it up and see whether that works.

I agree with Jingda the OS is not seeing the hard disk. There can be a number of reasons for this
1: The active partition (usually the first one or the whole disk has been corrupted : Solutionis to use a partition manager or reinstall windows.
2; The boot manager file (the first file to tell the computer how to boot ) is corrupted. A repair disk or some other way of reinstating this file 'boot.mgr' is the solution if this is the problem.
3: The cmos settings in the bios of the computer should be set to automatically detect the hard disk. It is possible that either they have been turned off or that the order of priority for booting is missing out on the hard disk in this list; If you can boot from another CD or USB device then you can investigate the hard disk

M

PS just check you have not left a CD in the CD/DVD drive as sometimes that can prevent booting as the machine may think there is a bootable disk in the drive but the one there may not be bootable and so it cant detect the hard drive.
M

Seems like there are something wrong with your Ram.

Seems like there are something wrong with your Ram.

You are kidding me...

checking the BIOS. hold F1, or delete or something (depending on the brand) before startup. you probably already found a boot disc by now though, right?

booting into safemode loads up 'safe' drivers for your devices so, logical conculsion is bad boot file or bad hard drive, hopefully it's not a hardware problem

commented: Glad to have you back on daniweb:) +11

Hi,
when i boot my notebook i can only reach the windows logo and then a blue screen appears with the error message " No mountable boot device"

that makes no sense to me because the windows logo has to come from a windows install on a mounted drive ,the error message should show long before any sign of the windows logo

@ caperjack

Nice obeservation. Everyone was busy helping out that they miss that point.

Besides that, I think there is something wrong with " No mountable boot devide" error message. This error usually happens on a Mac OS/OS X machine. Does it happen on Windows machine too or just toshiba netbooks. I have never encounter this problem before and the most common one error similar to the OP is " Unmountable Boot Volume"

Have any one come across such message as the OP? Just clarifying, after all this is the first problem daniweb has seen it so many years...

I have met the message about unmountable device but regrettable it is often to be found in Linux!
I dont suppose that helps but as many of you know the error messages in windows are not always very helpful!
I would guess a reformat may be the answer.
M

Reformat is always the last resort and I am not sure whether the OP would want to do that either.

i just remembered the exact same startup event order happened to me not too long ago with BSOD just before welcome screen. i was trying to boot from a .vhd but my machine doesn't do hardware virtualization(too old).

should try putting hard into another machine
aha! do a search for 'startup repair download' i just did and found plenty freeware. then you can make your repair disc.

actually not sure if i ever encountered the exact error[with the word mountable] on windows machine ,

That's what I said above. The exact error I have seen occur in Macbooks not windows. Something seems weird here and the OP have not reply for a long time.

op has not reply for a long time.

so typical of post that make no sense .lol
if op is still there ,it maybe you have a virus on you hdd

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.