When you have a lot of CDs with your numerous IMPORTANT works stored on them you quickly lose track of what's where; so it would be for the best if there was a program (or a part inside of some common software) or a utility that you could use to store all the information about all the CDs you have, so you can easily find what you want by searching it all (e.g. from some virtual directory tree) on your computer instead of inserting CDs one by one (quite random) until you find it...

My question: What is the best such program/utility?

PS:
(I've found some program of such kind over the Internet but it's all buggy (nice idea, but done by an amteur))

(Important: using Windows Commander I've generated a file list (in .txt format) of all my CDs complete with directory of each file (including those inside the archives). Question: Is there a utility or a program or a function of some common program that can generate a directory tree (even with icons for extensions of files (file types)) out of such text file)

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

depending on the layout of the text file, I could probably make one in VB, but I'm unsure as to the level of work it would require (and my time constraints)

depending on the layout of the text file, I could probably make one in VB, but I'm unsure as to the level of work it would require (and my time constraints)

I guess all it would need is to take into account all the lines in txt file that begin with the drive name (?:\), and ignore all the rest, then use some common routine from the windows to make a virtual tree (that should make it easy).
(I don't know how to program such thing (let alone in Visual Basic))
Also - the files in archives have / instead of \ at the begining of the path right after the archive's path and name...

...Make some examples with Total Commander / Windows Commander - see how it goes (that's the only common program I've found arround me that can write all the directories and files including the ones in the archives onto a txt list of it all).

It should be just a simple little program with no extra features.

Post for me a snippit of the .txt file that you generated...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.