I was a lurker here, now I need help.
Suddenly, I got the dreaded "missing or corrupt hal.dll" error message. In reading everything I could find on the Net, I succeeded in fixing it, more or less: Computer again runs just fine, everything is apparently operating as it should. One thing, tho: in doing a peroidic image of my system drive to an external HDD, I noticed that my system drive C: was no longer on HDD 0 but now on HDD 1. What was previously HDD 1 is now HDD 0. The new HDD 0 (what was previously HDD 1)consists of 2 SATA Maxtor 300g in RAID 0, configured as D: and E:. HDD 1 (that is, old HDD 0) is a single SATA Maxtor 300g and is configured as C:, the system drive. These drive letters have not changed with regard to the partitions they identify. I must have done something to boot.ini, but I don't see it.
I think it would be a good idea (but tell me if you disagree) to go back to the original designations of HDD 0 as C: and HDD 1 as my RAID. I note that the computer seems to boot properly and run as it should in this current "swapped" configuration. Any help as to how to accomplish getting back to the original config would be much appreciated. My current boot.ini file is as follows:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows
[Operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partitions(1)\Windows="Windows XP Media Center" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
Many thanks,
Lex

I was a lurker here, now I need help.
Suddenly, I got the dreaded "missing or corrupt hal.dll" error message. In reading everything I could find on the Net, I succeeded in fixing it, more or less: Computer again runs just fine, everything is apparently operating as it should. One thing, tho: in doing a peroidic image of my system drive to an external HDD, I noticed that my system drive C: was no longer on HDD 0 but now on HDD 1. What was previously HDD 1 is now HDD 0. The new HDD 0 (what was previously HDD 1)consists of 2 SATA Maxtor 300g in RAID 0, configured as D: and E:. HDD 1 (that is, old HDD 0) is a single SATA Maxtor 300g and is configured as C:, the system drive. These drive letters have not changed with regard to the partitions they identify. I must have done something to boot.ini, but I don't see it.
I think it would be a good idea (but tell me if you disagree) to go back to the original designations of HDD 0 as C: and HDD 1 as my RAID. I note that the computer seems to boot properly and run as it should in this current "swapped" configuration. Any help as to how to accomplish getting back to the original config would be much appreciated. My current boot.ini file is as follows:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows
[Operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partitions(1)\Windows="Windows XP Media Center" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
Many thanks,
Lex

Hi Lex,

Would you mind sharing how you succeeded in fixing the missing or corrupt hal.dll file issue?

I am also running MCE, except mine is on a single 250GB SATA drive. You can email me direct at carlos@stateoftheart.com.

I'm curious. Why do you want to change it? The boot.ini file is used simply for bootup options in 2000 and XP. I can't see how editing it is going to change the function of your system, unless you plan to make the raid drives bootable. If there is some problem with the boot.ini the way it is, then I can see editing it. But if your system is functioning fine, as you say it is, then just leave it be. If the numbers bother you that much, just don't look at them.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.