Hi all,

My laptop is running Windows 7 64. I need to get into my run it in safe mode but when I press F8 upon startup but I am not given the option. I get Start Windows Normally or a prompt to fix the startup process because apparently my laptop is not starting up properly. I get the same screen when I press F12 and F5 so there is something definitely wrong with this. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this and if so, what can I do about it?

Contributors
Replies
Views
4 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Stuugie

When booting, hold down one of the function keys (like F2, F12, etc) until you hear a bunch of beeps. That should force the system into the bios setup. Some systems have a special key to do this (Lenovo Thinkpads, for example).

Try running msconfig and select "Safe Boot" and "Minimal" on the Boot tab. Then reboot. If that doesn't work then try selecting "Diagnostic startup" on the General tab.

Votes + Comments
As always, thank you very much

USUALLY just hitting F10 will do it.

My HP uses ESC to get to a startup menu
- from there F10 gets to BIOS.
But F10 does it directly also.

U may have to resort to RTFM for ur unit to see what there process is.

I've tried F2, F5, F8, F10, & F12 to no avail. Reverend Jim set me straight with this though, thanks ruggb.

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.