Folks,

How to format the drive on WinXP as msdos FS?

I have 2 HDs mounted on mobile rack running WinME and WinXP respective. Both of them have 2 partitions, drive-C and drive-D. Drive-D is for storage. Now WinME fails to start anymore leaving WinXP working. I tried to copy the data files from WinME driv-D to WinXP drive-D by connecting WinME HD as slave. ALL data files on WinME can be copied to WinXP but their file extension/format changed after finish. I suppose the FS on WinME drive-D is on msdos/FAT16 and WinXP drvie-D on FAT32 which created this problem.

Please advise how to format WinXP drive-D as msdos or FAT16. OR is there any other solution. TIA

B.R.
satimis

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

It should work, unless you are copying from a ntfs file sytem to fat32, then your filenames might get messed up. You should format drive D: the same as C:.

Hi cozofdeath ,

Tks for your advice. Sorry I forgot to "check" the "show file ext...." box

satimis

why do you want to change windows xp file system? isn't it easier to change win ME fs to FAT32? it's easy to perform with for example disk director, you can change file systems without loosing any data on drive.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.