We're having an issue here with installing new programs. I set everyone us with very limited changes to the default gp and applied it to the group. Noone can install programs now... The only policy change I set that I can think of that might have affected this is a couple pertaining to editing the registry. Are there specific policies to enable to allow installation of programs on their machines?

Also, has anyone found anything out about the GPMC not installing on our DC. It says something about .net must be installed but neither 2.0 or 1.1 work.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

To be able to install programs the users that you want to be able to do so will have to have either power user privilages or administrator. Power user should be enough.

Here is a link to that might help with you GPMC problem

http://www.petri.co.il/download_gpmc.htm

Ok, so there's not a gp I can set domain wide to allow installation of programs? It has to be on the local machine?

Ok, so there's not a gp I can set domain wide to allow installation of programs? It has to be on the local machine?

No, You can make all domain users, power users which gives them the rights to install software as does the administrators group. All you do is go to active directory and add the users or everyone to the power users or administrators group. These are the groups that are aloud to install software:!: You can add a user a single user by their username or add everyone or add a group you have created eg: accounts.

hmmm... I can't find that. PowerUsers isn't a built in group on the DC

hmmm... I can't find that. PowerUsers isn't a built in group on the DC

I've mislead you slightly DUKI, i apologise.;) What you must do is log onto the local account then add the domain account to the administrator group. this will give them administrator rights on the local machine. They will then be able to install software etc. , locally, but won't have admin rights on the domain.

Forget what i said previosly this is the correct way.:)

alrighty, thanks a bunch! I've been doing this on a turn-by-turn basis so far... working good. The only problem I've ran into is that now the GP i apply do not affect them.

alrighty, thanks a bunch! I've been doing this on a turn-by-turn basis so far... working good. The only problem I've ran into is that now the GP i apply do not affect them.

It should ok this only gives them admin rights on the machine not accross the domain

i'll check it out and let you know... thx :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.