I recently re-installed SP2 because I wanted to try out WMP11 but didn't quite like it so I decided to uninstall WMP11 and SP2, seeing as they were not going to be needed anymore.
So, I start up the unistallation from Add/Remove, and when it's about time to start Copying and Deleting files, I get an error box:

The system cannot find the file specified.

and after,

The Service Pack 2 was not uninstalled.

So, I set out to see what's going on here, I try all the options but no, to no avail. And before you ask, I did try to uninstall from Safe Mode, about 5 times, LOL XD :eek:

Here's a list of things I done to try and sort the problem out:

Tried uninstalling from Safe Mode - FAILED
Tried the Run command and then using the uninstaller from there - FAILED
Cleaned my computer, optimized it, checked for bugs etc
Installed and re-installed SP2 about 5 times also

Nothing seems to be working and I want to be rid of this burden because many of my programs are starting not to work like MSN Messenger and Internet Explorer 6.

Anyone know anything about this? I'd really appreciate any help at all.

Thank you. ;)

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

I also tried doing the System Restore but it didn't go far back enough to have an impact.

As a last resort I tried wiping the hard-drive and yes, you guessed it. I got an error message LOL XD

Windows cannot format this drive. Quit any disk utilities or nay other programs that are using this drive, and make sure that no window is displaying the contents of this drive. Then try formatting again.

What should I do now? I'm stuck. :confused:

As a last resort I tried wiping the hard-drive and yes, you guessed it. I got an error message LOL XD

Windows cannot format this drive. Quit any disk utilities or nay other programs that are using this drive, and make sure that no window is displaying the contents of this drive. Then try formatting again.

What should I do now? I'm stuck. :confused:

error messages sounds like you are trying to format from within windows .

frankly speaking i didn't understand why do you want to uninstall SP2. but if you are serious follow this steps:
if you need to make a clean install of windows, insert instalation cd and choose to reinstall, you would be suggested to format the drive click yes and after this follow the setup wizard. but before reinstalling your system i recomend you to backup everything, coz after this you won't be able to access data which was on your window partition.

frankly speaking i didn't understand why do you want to uninstall SP2. but if you are serious follow this steps:
if you need to make a clean install of windows, insert instalation cd and choose to reinstall, you would be suggested to format the drive click yes and after this follow the setup wizard. but before reinstalling your system i recomend you to backup everything, coz after this you won't be able to access data which was on your window partition.

I want to unistall it because it is unnecessary and causes many problems with programs that I never experienced before.
Oh yeah I forgot to mention that I done that but it didn't work and I got an error message saying that can't uninstall over the top because the version of my computer (SP2) was newer than the one on the disk.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that I done that but it didn't work and I got an error message saying that can't uninstall over the top because the version of my computer (SP2) was newer than the one on the disk.

in this situation the only way is to make a clean install of windows, make a bootable floppy (of caurse if you have a floppy drive) or bootable cd(it can ve made in for example NERO), then boot from it and type format c:, after this you will be able to install windows without any problems.

Thankoo! I'll try that. :)

I have found the solution. I downloaded all the Updates for SP2 and now all my programs work fine so I think I'll leave it on there until it starts causing problems! Thank you dor all your help! :cheesy:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.