Hey guys,

I'm trying to setup a remote computer to logon through RD to our server to run a printing program (we did this, because the printer takes a while and we figure our server will do it faster).

I've set the group policy to allow log on through terminal services and i've setup the Domain controller policy to do the same. I can't figure out where to apply the group policy or to see if it is applied. I'm not sure if i even need to, because I set the policy for the particular user.

Anyways, I'm wanting to do this because I'm later going to setup VERY restrictive policies and let them logon to our server rather than paying $1500 for citrix.

Advance thank yous...... ;)

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Hey guys,

I'm trying to setup a remote computer to logon through RD to our server to run a printing program (we did this, because the printer takes a while and we figure our server will do it faster).

I've set the group policy to allow log on through terminal services and i've setup the Domain controller policy to do the same. I can't figure out where to apply the group policy or to see if it is applied. I'm not sure if i even need to, because I set the policy for the particular user.

Anyways, I'm wanting to do this because I'm later going to setup VERY restrictive policies and let them logon to our server rather than paying $1500 for citrix.

Advance thank yous...... ;)

Can't you just put a shortcut to the program on the users desktop? Just map the drive the progam is on and create the short cut - should work:!: You could put the program on its own partion or drive to restrict access to the rest of server!:cheesy:

Can't you just put a shortcut to the program on the users desktop? Just map the drive the progam is on and create the short cut - should work:!: You could put the program on its own partion or drive to restrict access to the rest of server!:cheesy:

Well we need to make sure the program opens on the server, not the thin client. How would I do that?

if the program is installed on the server and the path of the shortcut on the client pc is pointing to it - it will open it on the server but run as if it were on the client you can do this with most programs. You would normally have an independant application server:!:

If you have lots of clients that need to use it you will need a very powerful server. I set an application server up once with four processors and 16 GB of RAM and that even got swammped if too many people used it. They were P3's though - there are faster CPU's now but the programs are also alot more resource hungry:-|

:-|Well... heheh

The thing is, the program doesn't actually install (atleast I see no evidence of it, if it does). It's a simple .exe file but when double clicked the program pops up without any installation.

That's crazy about your server.... 16GB of RAM getting swamped. WoW :lol:

:-|Well... heheh

The thing is, the program doesn't actually install (atleast I see no evidence of it, if it does). It's a simple .exe file but when double clicked the program pops up without any installation.

That's crazy about your server.... 16GB of RAM getting swamped. WoW :lol:

MMM sounds like an old 16bit app. You could still try to create a shortcut of the .exe file and see if it runs on the client pc.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.