Hi, I'm working on a friend's pc, it seems to run fine. I scanned for viruses with AVG, used SuperAntiSpyware to scan for spyware and both found nothing. The only problem is that everytime the pc boots up, it instantly shows the "My Computer" screen. Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I know this isn't a major problem, it's more of an annoyance. But, I really don't want to give this pc back to him with this unnecessary problem. I would really appreciate any clue as to why this is happening.

I tried that but it didn't work. Thanks ayways. I've tried various things in the registry. I've used Codestuff Starter and msconfig to check startup items. I've also changed things in MyComputer/Tools/FolderOptions/View/Restore previous folder at logon and made sure it was unchecked. Nothing is working, it's kinda frustrating. I've checked various forums and I'm told it's a problem that goes back to Windows 95. I'm hoping that someone on here has encountered this and can help.

Maybe you try this one:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086
This article is about the System32 folder popping up on startup, but the principle is the same: Damaged or incomplete registry entries in the various ....\run keys. Sometimes it's just a missing double quote.

Spybot S+D seems to damage registry keys like HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\explorer\run
on rare occasions.

Hey, thanks guys. It ended up being a problem with explorer.exe that Ad- Aware found. It's funny both SuperAntiSpyware and Spybot didn't detect this. I also uninstalled AVG and installed the trial version of NOD32 and neither of those found it. Score for Ad-Aware. Thanks again for the help, I learned a lot.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.