Hi All,
I'm trying to find an easyer way to update the database on my webserver.
currently i open ten excell spreedsheets and refresh each one of them individualy, the sheets are linked to an external database, then i save each one as a .csv file. next i upload each .csv to the webserver and insert them in to the database. can anyone suggest a way in which i could speed this process up?

i would like to be able to link the webserver and the external database but its an old design and i cant find a linux driver to estblish the connection.

so any help with the ecell side of things would be great. some peice of software that will batch open, batch refresh, and batch save as.

cheers

spikes

Here are some things you might want to try.

There are plenty of open source readers for excel. You can try the Java API http://www.andykhan.com/jexcelapi/index.html. There are php readers out there that work a little better with databases and webservers, but you might need to do some digging to find them.

As for working with seperate sheets, you might want to consolidate them all into one book. This way when you hit save you save all ten sheets at once.

Once you get a reader working, all you then need to do is make a script or a file you can run from the command file that handles the connection from the webserver to the database.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.