I have a problem with my video editing PC. Although having spent a large amount of time investigating solutions on the web, I consistently find recovery software which is either focused on recovering the boot sector, or alternately, specific data files on the HDD.
My problem, however, is the following.-- My PC has a 120 Gb HDD housing the OS (Windows XP), it also has 2 x Seagate 400 Gb HDD's, which are (spanned ?) i.e. linked , as one 700-800 Gb (E: drive).
I suddenly got a message that the E:'s MFI is corrupted, and in Windows explorer I cannot see any of the files. This obviously seems like the MFT is sick. I am running some "recovery software", which confirms the problem. My question is the following:
Is there any software which will "rebuild" the MFT in situ, as I do not have capaciy to restore the +-500 gigs of data (AVI's) on the disc's. I do have backups of the data on +- 90 DV tapes, but this will be a mission to restore.
Your help will be greatly appreciated.:-|

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

How exactly was the array created in the first place? The method used to create the array may have a bearing on how (or if) it can be repaired.

Hey Pal, u seem to specialize in big words !!!! What in heavens name do you imply by asking how the array was created. Lets forget the semantics.... and answer the question please !!

Hey Pal, u seem to specialize in big words !!!! What in heavens name do you imply by asking how the array was created. Lets forget the semantics.... and answer the question please !!

A) I honestly don't understand why you're responding with that type of attitude. You are the one asking for help, and I am trying to give you that help. I understand anyone's frustration with computer problems, and their desire to get them resolved as quickly as possible, but trust me- courtesy on your part would be a good place to start. Supplying enough information for us to give you the right answer is the next step. Rebuilding MBRs, MFT, Partition Tables, and the like is not a trivial task, and one wrong move could blow the drives away for good.

B) There are no "semantics" in my reply- quite the opposite: I used the word "array" because that is the precise technical term for different physical hard drives which have been joined into a single logical drive. I actually go out of my to avoid being vague, because that only leads to vague information being given in repsonse to my questions.
Perhaps you are just unaware of the different ways that drives can be joined, and that would explain your apparent belief that there is "An" answer to your problem, which can be instantly handed to you.

C) Creating striped drives or other kinds of arrays can be done with Windows itself (using "dynamic" disks), with different hard drive software utilities, or with hardware "RAID" cards. How you attempt to repair/recover a "broken" array depends to a large extent on how you created it in the first place. If you can start by giving us the following info, that will give us a better idea of how best to recreate the array (or if that's even possible):

1. Exactly how were the drives were joined? With what software/hardware? If you don't know whether or not your system has hardware RAID, give us your hardware specs.
2. What exact type of array was it (Striped, Spanned, etc.)?
3. What video software are you using?
4. What exact version of XP are you using?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.