I am using Windows XP on my computer. I have a problem with trying to keep the horn or should I say volume control icon on my taskbar. In order for it to stay, I have to go into the control panel after I turn on the computer. I have to then go into sound, uncheck, hit apply, then recheck and hit apply in order for my icon to show on the bottom of my taskbar. I have no idea why when it is checked off to be on my taskbar it just won't stay there after I turn off my computer and then on. Can anyone help me figure this thing out? I have done scan disks, defrag, everything that I can think of to get it to automatically come up along with my virus icons, etc. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Man reinstall the ServicePack or the Operating system. Did you install your sound card "software" not drivers on that computer? Let us know.

Hi, I just checked, the service pack is up to date, and all the software was installed properly. I have no idea what and how to do next. My son just searched and tried and nothing worked for him. I can't do a system restore because I also had another problem and just corrected it all so I have a new restore point. Every morning so far, I have been having to go into the control panel, uncheck and recheck to have my icon pop up on the task bar, don't know why and don't know what else to try. I tried going on the Microsoft website and there was nothing there for Windows XP troubleshooting about the icon, only for earlier versions of windows. Helppp please, thanks

If you right click on the start menu, then goto properties, there should be a box called 'hide inactive icons' uncheck that and see if this fixes your issue.

I want to thank you for all your help, I played around and did weird things, and guess what? It now comes up automatically now when I boot up the computer. Thanks again, I really appreciated all the help. :)

Cool deal glad "we" can help enjoy

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.