I just installed Windows XP pro on my laptop, and I can't get the sound card to work. I downloaded the drivers for it from dell which is where I bought the computer from, and it gives me an error saying it can't find the device. It was working before when I first got it, and when I was running Media Edition (came installed). The drivers on the cd that came with came up with the same error. The sound card that I have is a Sound Blaster Audigy Advanced MB.
Any suggestions on how to fix this?
Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

If we were handling it on our tech support lines, the first thing to do would be to put the original OS back using the restore disks - simply because it is the quickest way to find out if there's a HW problem or not. We don't support anything other than the original OS/installation for reasons just like this: until you have the original configuration back you never know what is going on.

Does the HW show up in Device Manager under 'other devices' or anything like that?

Why did you put XP Pro on there anyway? Was there some specific feature you wanted? We get a lot of people doing this simply because they think Pro is better than Home or MCE, but they don't actually need it.

It is also my understanding that MCE is essentially Pro anyway.

Well, I am not revertting back to the original OS (MCE) cause I didn't like it. I installed all of the other drivers without any problem at all, so I don't know why this one is having so much difficulty.

Well, if it is OS related its going to be expensive finding out it isn't a HW problem - all for the sake of not putting the original back as a diagnostic.

Manufacturers can do strange things without realising it. I know of one older range of machines which won't take SP2. No solution, they just won't take it and there's nothing actually 'wrong' with them.

It's your call.

OK well I got the problem fixed. I needed to install another driver, which I didn't think I needed but once I got that the creative drivers installed without any problems.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.