I'm currently conencted to a domain at my office. I could see all other computers and they could see mine. When I try to access shared folders from other computers, my computer is asking for a password. When I try to share files from a different computer it does not request a password and it access them. I'm currently runnign windows xp on my laptop and NT 4.0 for the network. can anyone help :sad:

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Hello,

You mention that you have a Domain in your office... that implies that there is a file server present, and also implies that there is space on the server for you to share files with others at your company. By helping you out here, we might be undermining your IT department's goal of keeping corporate assets (your data) on the server for backup purposes, and avoiding a dangerous peer-to-peer networking.

That said, let's look at the technical answer:

Let's say that you are trying to connect to Brian. Brian is running 2000/XP, and you are trying to connect to him. When Kissy tries to call Brian, it asks for a password. This implies that the network is working, the file shares are properly defined, and file sharing is enabled.

My guess is that the local NTFS permissions on Brian's computer do not recognize you. Typically, we solve that by placing a special group called DOMAIN USERS into a folder on the local computer (Brian) and check the NTFS permissions to allow for sharing. You should also check the File Sharing permissions to make sure you are allowed to connect and read those files (again, making sure that DOMAIN USERS can share).

I would encourge you to talk with your IT department about setting aside file sharing space so that your group of workers can share files in a controlled and safe manor. Remember, if you make that laptop wide open so that everyone can connect to you, and then you dialup somewhere onto the internet, you could be attacked from the internet in short order.

At the last place I worked, we disabled peer - to - peer to have us help users manage their data in a responsible fashion.

Christian

Just curious is that NT box Workstation or Server? Let me know I find this very intersting.

Hello,

You mention that you have a Domain in your office... that implies that there is a file server present, and also implies that there is space on the server for you to share files with others at your company. By helping you out here, we might be undermining your IT department's goal of keeping corporate assets (your data) on the server for backup purposes, and avoiding a dangerous peer-to-peer networking.

That said, let's look at the technical answer:

Let's say that you are trying to connect to Brian. Brian is running 2000/XP, and you are trying to connect to him. When Kissy tries to call Brian, it asks for a password. This implies that the network is working, the file shares are properly defined, and file sharing is enabled.

My guess is that the local NTFS permissions on Brian's computer do not recognize you. Typically, we solve that by placing a special group called DOMAIN USERS into a folder on the local computer (Brian) and check the NTFS permissions to allow for sharing. You should also check the File Sharing permissions to make sure you are allowed to connect and read those files (again, making sure that DOMAIN USERS can share).

I would encourge you to talk with your IT department about setting aside file sharing space so that your group of workers can share files in a controlled and safe manor. Remember, if you make that laptop wide open so that everyone can connect to you, and then you dialup somewhere onto the internet, you could be attacked from the internet in short order.

At the last place I worked, we disabled peer - to - peer to have us help users manage their data in a responsible fashion.

Christian

Thank you for such quick response. We do not have an IT Department. what I'm tyring to do is reach another computer whom we share files with. Thank you for the concern.

Given your example. Kissy can not access any other computer in the domain with out a password. Brian can share kissy's files without a password. Brian Everione in the domain can share brians files with out a password exept for kissy.

My first problem started when I installed Norton Internet Security on my laptop. Once installed I was not able to see the other computers in the domain and they were not able to see me. I disable it and I was able to see the comps in the domain but not access there files.

Why is it asking me for a password. And if it requires one where can I change that or at least set one up.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Kissy Martinez

Just curious is that NT box Workstation or Server? Let me know I find this very intersting.

On a server.

Thank you for such quick response. We do not have an IT Department. what I'm tyring to do is reach another computer whom we share files with. Thank you for the concern.

Given your example. Kissy can not access any other computer in the domain with out a password. Brian can share kissy's files without a password. Brian Everione in the domain can share brians files with out a password exept for kissy.

My first problem started when I installed Norton Internet Security on my laptop. Once installed I was not able to see the other computers in the domain and they were not able to see me. I disable it and I was able to see the comps in the domain but not access there files.

Why is it asking me for a password. And if it requires one where can I change that or at least set one up.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Kissy Martinez

Are you logging into your laptop with your domain user account and not a local account? Also, is this laptop joined into a domain?

Try to open the SMB/CIFS ports on Norton.....I think they're ports 139 and 445.

commented: Good answer for the ports, firewalls are unneeded in a corporate intranet...unless on servers, but those should be hardware firewalls! +36

Are you logging into your laptop with your domain user account and not a local account? Also, is this laptop joined into a domain?

Try to open the SMB/CIFS ports on Norton.....I think they're ports 139 and 445.

Oh, nice, but 445 isn't needed if the domain is an NT4 domain...no directory services. 139 will absolutely be needed though.

I'm also following you on her login procedure...logging in locally essentially cuts you off from the network...unless the username and password are the same.

edit: I'd like to ask why you installed that Norton Security program as well. You don't need a firewall on a network client. Anything that is super-pertinent should be stored on a fileserver with encrypted folders. However one goes about that is their perogative.

I'm currently conencted to a domain at my office. I could see all other computers and they could see mine. When I try to access shared folders from other computers, my computer is asking for a password. When I try to share files from a different computer it does not request a password and it access them. I'm currently runnign windows xp on my laptop and NT 4.0 for the network. can anyone help :sad:

i have the same problem as you do.
i connected my lap top and my desk top ... then i did a search from the desk on the others ip .. it found the lap top and when i double clicked it opened a window and asked a password. i have never installed a password and i dont know the asking password or what to do..
could anyone help me?

rookie here.
nice forum.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.