I want to delete everything thing off my computer and start over. Can I do that by myself of should I get someone that knows what they're doing....if i can do it by myself what are the steps?

Recommended Answers

All 28 Replies

you will need a copy of windows for a pc. you can format the hard drive (that clears it), then re-install windows. that's not fun, really, but you can do it.

What version of windows are you running, I will give you detailed steps. Do you still have the cd's that came with your system?

Hello,

I would back up my data, and start fresh with a format. I am also a big believer in making more than a C: on your physical hard drive. This prevents other problems, such as if you have to reformat your C: again, if your data is on D: it will be safe. That step will not protect from a physical hard drive problem however.

Enjoy.

Christian

Detailed instructions can be provided. There are quite a few very good 'Help yourself' articles published on the Web.

But to enable the best advice/links to be given, please supply:

What is your Windows version?
Is your PC a 'Name Brand' one or a locally assembled PC?
Have you backed up your data, and do you need assistance with this?

Wiping your hard drive clean and installing Windows fresh will eliminate everything you have there. You need to be prepared before starting - afterwards is too late!

I want to delete everything thing off my computer and start over. Can I do that by myself of should I get someone that knows what they're doing....if i can do it by myself what are the steps?

You can open your internet opyions when you IE in the 'tools' section

heh heh.......

I hardly see how that's going to help with wiping the hard drive clean and starting over with a fresh install of windows ;)

...agreed:-|

Actually that will wipe some stuff from the computer,internet releated stuff ,But it will not wipe the computer clean!

I have Windows 98 SE...and its a DELL and nope I haven't backed up any of my data, and yeah I probably would need help with that

Next question Mariah.

Do you have a Windows 98 CD, or a Dell 'Recovery CD'? There should have been installation disks which accompanied the system when new, and which could be used to restore the system to its originally shipped state.

Also, which model of Dell do you have? Saying you have "a Dell" is sorta like syaing to the Auto spare parts fella "I've got a Ford!" It sounds good but it's bugger all help for identification purposes.

Saying you have a 'Dell Dimension' wouldn't help much more, because that's a product range. But saying you have, for example, a 'Dell Dimension 8100' would identify the model you have there.

If you have a 'Recovery CD' you simply need to pop it in the drive and reboot the system. The installation process should run from CD. If you have a Windows 98 CD, the process is more complex, and there are some preparations to perform first. In both cases you should back up all your data to CD first.

If, on the other hand, that PC was purchased secondhand, had Windows on it when you bought it, and didn't have the CDs with it when sold, you would need to purchase a copy of Windows before you can wipe it and start over.

the model of Dell I have is Dell Dimension L433cx and no I don't have a Windows 98 CD, or a Dell Recovery CD I bought this computer from someone and all they gave me with it was a boot disk...

the model of Dell I have is Dell Dimension L433cx and no I don't have a Windows 98 CD, or a Dell Recovery CD I bought this computer from someone and all they gave me with it was a boot disk...

I think you just answered your first question!:)

If you can get a copy of the windows 98 cd, Dell should have the drivers for your system on their site.

If you want to put Windows XP on that system, Dell have drivers listed for it as well:

http://support.dell.com/filelib/Devices.aspx?Category=0&OS=WW1++&OSL=EN&SvcTag=&SysID=DIM_PNT_CEL_L___CX

Here is the relevent Windows 98 Download page though:

http://support.dell.com/filelib/Devices.aspx?Category=0&OS=W98++&OSL=EN&SvcTag=&SysID=DIM_PNT_CEL_L___CX

I'd consider Windows XP to be a better option, and it's easier to get hold of a retail copy of it nowadays!

How do I backed up any of my data on my computer and do I need a certain amount of RAM before i can install XP onto my computer?

Best way to back up your data is to use a CD burner or copy it to another PC across a network. For stand-alone systems, burners are now very cheap to purchase.

Don't forget your Internet 'Favourites', which you back up using 'Import and Export' on the Files menu in Internet Explorer. Also your Mail, for which you'll need to find out the procedures for whichever email program you use.

If it's Outlook Express or MS Outlook, please indicate and I'll give you links to relevent articles.

ok thanxz alot for all the help. ;)

Oh, I forgot!

You really should have 256Mb of RAM for Windows XP. 128Mb is the absolute minimum you should consider having, and more than 256Mb is better.

lol ok thank you

How would I or copy it to another PC across a network?

Basically, you need to create a folder on the machine you want to back up to, share the folder, and give "everyone" write permissions to the folder. You should then be able to see the shared folder on the backup machine under Network Neighborhood on your machine and copy your data to that folder. The process is a bit more seamless if you add your computer to the Workgroup in which the backup computer resides.

The specific steps of setting up sharing vary between different versions of Windows- what version is the target (backup) machine running, and how is it currently networked?

Okay my friends dad said he could wipe off my computer for me but the only problem I really have is that I don't have the installation disc to my internet is there a way he could like take everything off besides my internet or anything?

Okay my friends dad said he could wipe off my computer for me but the only problem I really have is that I don't have the installation disc to my internet is there a way he could like take everything off besides my internet or anything?

Is that the installation disk from your ISP, or are you talking about a browser?

Internet Explorer will be included with the Windows OS, others can be downloaded.

If it's the disc from your ISP, you will probably need to request a new one.

Unfortunately, it won't be possible to retain your currently-installed Internet setup if your going to reinstall from scratch. However, depending on the type of Internet connection you have, that might not be such a big deal.

Internet Explorer will be included with the Windows OS, others can be downloaded.

Right- the browser software will be installed with Windows. It has to be actually, because Internet Explorer is part of the Windows operating system itself.
Depending on how your ISP set you up, you may have to configure your Internet connection manually, so it would be a good idea to copy down your current networking information (IP address, subnet mask, DNS server IPs, etc.) before you wipe the machine.

If it's the disc from your ISP, you will probably need to request a new one.

Also- you may not even need any special software; many ISPs do supply a custom browser and/or their own connection software, but you often don't really need such software to set up and use your connection:

- If you're on dial-up, you should be able to run the Windows "Make new connection" wizard and enter your access phone numbers, user name, password, etc. in the wizard to set up the connection.

- If you have Cable, your ISP most likely uses DHCP to configure your network setting automatically. If that's the case you shouldn't have much problem; Windows defaults to using DHCP, so it should automatically get its connection info when you plug it back into the modem.

- If you use DSL, you probably will need a disk from your ISP; DSL providers usually use some flavor of PPPoE (or PPPoA) software, which isn't included with Windows. Check with your provider though; it's possible that they don't use PPPoE, and that you can just manually set up your connection by entering the IP address, etc. that they gave you.

- If you use Cable or DSL though, you really should have a broadband router connected between your modem and your computer as a security measure. If you do have a router, one side benefit is that your connection settings are stored in the router, which eliminates the need to install any special connection software on your computer.

i wana take everything off and start over as well. no one has yet to answer the poor girl. its windows xp. plz help. >>RinaLuvzEm@aim.com

Weme to the site!

If you have a Windows CD,all you need to do is FORMAT C DRIVE and then apply a fresh copy :)

Good luck

on some dells (my one does) you hit control + f11 repeatedly when the pc is starting up and it will reinstall the OS from a hidden partition

Very interesting!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.