Hi Everyone;

I am new to this forum, so first I would like to give a brief description of my scenario:
I assembled a machine with an Asus M2NPV-VM, and an Athlon 64, running XP32.
Few months later, I wanted to use the full H/W capability, and loaded XP64. When loaded Office 2003, found it faster than under XP32.
Before going to the web, tried to restore NAV2006, then learning it doesn’t work. So, I scaled back to XP32.
Other old S/W I have runs only on W2KPE, so I virtualized the machine (with Virtual PC 2004, free from Microsoft), and now I have no problem in that regard.
If the speed gain of XP64 justifies it, I would like to reinstall XP64 as the host (running those applications which are compatible), with both XP32 (running those other applications & devices for which I have drivers), and W2KPE (as guests OS) for the others.
My question which leads me to this forum:
a) I’d like to go Avast and use XP64 front end (IE6 and Outlook from Office 2003) to link to the web / email, but how good is it? How often do they update the virus definitions?
b) For those experienced, how does my scheme sound?
Thanks in advance for your comments and help.

danielroz.

Hi Everyone;

My question which leads me to this forum:
a) I’d like to go Avast and use XP64 front end (IE6 and Outlook from Office 2003) to link to the web / email, but how good is it? How often do they update the virus definitions?
b) For those experienced, how does my scheme sound?
Thanks in advance for your comments and help.

danielroz.

Hi! I'm new too! I'm using Avast under XP Pro 64, with no problems. Updates arrive almost daily. Also Office 2003, IE7. Most progs work fine under WOW 32 bit simulation.

I went this route to speed up the digital rendering I do. Only problems are with drivers for Hauppagge and some minor stuff (none available) and Terratec (which is beta level and pretty flaky). I'm thinking of going dual boot with XP Home or VM.

Robert

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.