ok--this is for those of us that are too eager to fix the registry-- loaded easy cd and my dvd drive disappeared...searched for a clue online and found that going into the registry and deleting the upperfilters string in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} would solve the problem--initially had trouble finding the key and accidentally deleted the key in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Control\Class\{4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and unbenknownst to me upon reboot my keyboard didnt work.... had no idea what i did wrong until i went back and researched-- couldnt find anything online on how to restore the setting aside from a system restore--went to a machine at work and tracked the correct registry key down and rentered the upperfilter string and all was well--stupid, yes...but if anyone else does the same thing at least this is a heads up... :):lol:

The correct key is
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.