trying to install a WD SATA HDD on a 3 yr old hp. old drive crashed. installed and format with Wd software. the problem is windows wont use that format. it freezes up any help is appreciated

Member Avatar for yerbol

which file system did you format it under?

trying to install a WD SATA HDD on a 3 yr old hp. old drive crashed. installed and format with Wd software. the problem is windows wont use that format. it freezes up any help is appreciated

Wow, call it dumb luck, but it sounds like I am experiencing the same exact problem as you are except that I am not replacing an old drive. Whats even funiier is that I started building this computer this morning and as I started searcing for this problem, I encountered yours. I am actually building a new computer using a WD 16M SATA2 250 GB drive. I have used the same drive in the past and have had no problems installing Win XP Prof. I am trying to install Win XP Media Center and I am getting the same problem as you. I used the WD Data Lifeguard disk and formatted the drive. When I try to install the OS it does not recognize the drive and locks up. I am looking everywhere for a solution but nothing yet. Right now I am getting pretty PO!

which file system did you format it under?

tried to format nfts

Wow, call it dumb luck, but it sounds like I am experiencing the same exact problem as you are except that I am not replacing an old drive. Whats even funiier is that I started building this computer this morning and as I started searcing for this problem, I encountered yours. I am actually building a new computer using a WD 16M SATA2 250 GB drive. I have used the same drive in the past and have had no problems installing Win XP Prof. I am trying to install Win XP Media Center and I am getting the same problem as you. I used the WD Data Lifeguard disk and formatted the drive. When I try to install the OS it does not recognize the drive and locks up. I am looking everywhere for a solution but nothing yet. Right now I am getting pretty PO!

yeah its frustrating. i am finding it but it wont to anything with it

yeah its frustrating. i am finding it but it wont to anything with it

I have found the problem. I have not resolved it yet.
The problem is that Win XP does not have the correct drivers. You have to get them from the MOBO disk. I have done this, but I am not sure which drivers to load. I have also found that Raid Should be disabled in the Bios when installing Win XP. Still working on it. HAve you found anything out yet?

I have found the problem. I have not resolved it yet.
The problem is that Win XP does not have the correct drivers. You have to get them from the MOBO disk. I have done this, but I am not sure which drivers to load. I have also found that Raid Should be disabled in the Bios when installing Win XP. Still working on it. HAve you found anything out yet?

No took a break. lot going on at work

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.