lol. um I'm just going over here now >>> :D

Okay I had the exact same problem trying to watched my half baked DVD, well all I did was upgrade the firmware to SB02 or whatever.
Download it here and follow the steps real simple.

http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/download/supportDown.do?group=&type=&subtype=&model_nm=SH-S162L&disp_nm=SH-S162L&language=&dType=D&mType=FM&vType=L&prd_ia_cd=05050500

Add me to msn at inphlate@gmail.com, if you need any more help!
Note that I have Samsung SH-183L and not the 162L, but I found the link to your model firmware so everything should be good. Good luck!

This is the dye compatibility bug, and has plagued CD-R and DVD-R users for years.

The problem is that patents and copyrights have prevented standardization of both drive design and disc design. Due to proprietary dye formulations and proprietary drive LASER frequencies, certain kinds of discs will not work in certain kinds of players or recorders.

In addition, there are two different kinds of DVD drives. One is DVD-R, and the other is DVD+R. These are also not compatible with each other, although there are now drives that can take both.

Why can't we have a DIN to require standards for things, like the Germans had?

Did you not read what I posted?

did you both not see that this thread is over 1 yr old !

lmao i didn't realize it was 2008! lol.. my bad but at least when people google looking for the problem they'll hopefully come here. That's how I found this place so I'm still in the right. :D

lmao i didn't realize it was 2008! lol.. my bad but at least when people google looking for the problem they'll hopefully come here. That's how I found this place so I'm still in the right. :D

yeah ,if you problem was the same as theres ,i briefly read earlier post in the thread and go the impression it was all media put into the drive .anyway thanks for posting your fix .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.